Fly Fusion Forums

Police Outpost 2015 Fish Camp Video

dryfly

With my limited video editing skills and novice drone photography skills, I hacked together a 4-minute video of our gang's Police Outpost trip last week. The video on YouTube is "milky" and not as crisp as the original MP4.

There is not much actual fishing footage. It is more of a personal photo essay for our group and some of the scenes and people will mean nothing to you. It is made with a combination P&S stills, DSLR stills, drone stills and drone video. Regarding the aerials of the boats in "launch bay," I need to be be much closer because the drone camera has a wide angle lens. But I am not comfortable flying low over water yet. I need to hone my aerial skills...a work in progress...like life. ☺

At the risks of falling asleep, here is the video.

Clive

• Like 2

Really, really well done Clive! I have never been to Police Outpost and have often wondered what it looks like, and where it is. You did a very nice job of showing off this beautiful place. Wish I had your talent for making videos, but I sure enjoyed watching this. Excellent! Love the drone!

Cheers

• Like 1

Thanks all. Was great trip as always.

Don, the CO came by and was most interested in the technology and sees great uses for drones. He politely asked me to not fly over the campground which I should have known. (Was great to see Sean/Shaun the CO aorund the park. Nice young man.)

There are so many rules for drones it is almost impossible to fly one legally. But it boils down to common sense, public safety and awareness of surroundings. Expect more restrictions as people continue to abuse the privileges.

The drone gives great perspective on surroundings. There are a lot of limitations to what they can do (eg. 2 km limit) and it takes some training to feel comfortable flying it when it is not in view (not recommended..just ask me). It has some nice "failsafe" features which so far have saved me a couple of times. I purchased it to photograph properties for friends, but see the opportunities. It is just an added dimension to photography.

Just FYI, I have a DJI Phantom 3 Advanced ... very happy with it. It is not as fancy as the way more expensive DJI Inspire.

Clive

• 3 weeks later...