Fly Fusion Forums

Bow River 4X4

Earlier this week Calgary Councillor Shane Keating submitted an Administration Inquiry about vehicles driving in the Bow River (I wrote it :) ). His latest blog addresses the issue (again, I wrote it :) ).

http://shanekeating.ca/minimizing-our-mark/

I don't want to see them close down the Graves Bridge launch, but they need to do something. We have talked about motion sensing cameras or other surveillance that may help.

Hard to manage it, as if they fence it and the water is a typical level, it will be a navigation hazard. Put up some signage at the entrance down into the area, put a bylaw officer there for a week (who has a brain so he's not ticketing people who are only putting a boat in), and ticket the hell out of all people who are abusing it. Id say that 99.9999% of people don't realize they shouldn't be down there..

Maybe I'll just make daily stops there and take photos of vehicles on the bar. Seems like if they can send you a ticket in the mail for speeding, should be able to do the same for parking on a bar..

If you want to get technical, yes it is not allowed under the Water Act without permission. Siltation of water, erosion of bed or shore of any waterbody, or any effect on the aquatic environment.

But based off that, you can't wade in the river either...

Big difference IMHO from parking on a dry gravel bar or launching a boat in a sensible manner,as opposed to actually driving thru the water for fun ,ripping a quad up a spawning creek,or just plain being an ***hat.

Use your head....hopefully enforcement does also?

I really don't think there's any need to be an Eco-zombie fanatic over it, but there's no excuse for joyriding in our rivers and creeks in this day and age.Im willing bet almost none of us on this forum knew any better only 10-20 years ago?The problem now is education,lack of signage and enforcement....people just don't know,and coming off as over zealous fun police doesn't help much at all.There needs to be a serious campaign to get the word out through public notice,signage,and regulation to make a difference, otherwise most people will just tell you to FO.

I don't see a problem with parking on the bar or launching boats. But just 4 wheelin in the water is an issue. Let's dredge out river bed and then disguise it as shallow water for the next truck that drives in. Nothing too deep to harm anyone. Just enough to get the truck stuck...lol

• 2 weeks later...

curious if you got anywhere with this? I reported it a few times to 311, and the City said they'd pass it onto Parks. Still no signage, and trucks on the bar again this morning..

I sent the Administrative Inquiry in, but I still haven't seen a response. I'm going to follow up with City Admin later this week and see if they have a response yet.