Fly Fusion Forums

Pieroway Fly Rods

Spurly

I have heard that these rods are pretty good, but cannot seem to find much for reviews.Also cannot seem to find any dealers, in order to handle one. Any first hand experience here?

How do they compare to the mid to higher priced rods?

Thanx in advance.

In my opinion you can get a better rod for the same if not less $. But that is just my opinion... I'm sure others will have a different opinion then I.

I prefer not to buy a blank that is made offshore (for about $10 - $15) and hardware that is of much higher quality, for that amount of money, but that's just me...

Best would be to find one to cast and cast a bunch of others in the same price range, as well as lower and higher at the same time (make sure to bring the same reel/spool of line to cast with all of them), and then decide. You might find they work well for you and your casting stroke.

Remember, opinions are like assholes... Everyone's got one!! :angel:smail:

• Like 1

I have a Metal Detector MD510 12ft spey rod that was designed by Brian Niska. I'm not an expert (just learning) but I'm very happy with it. The craftsmanship is very good, and warranty issues or repairs are handled by Geoff Pieroway who has a store and workshop in N.E Calgary near 40th Ave, not far from the Deerfoot. (use Google) . However phone first as sometimes he is not at the shop.

Was able to land a few coho on the Skeena last fall on the MD510, with some great casting lessons from Brrian Niska and one of his guides up there. Was pleased with the performance of the rod. My only other spey rod is a lower price Echo TR7130, that I haven't used much. So far I like the Pieroway better. but it is shorter and lighter than the Echo.

• Like 1

I have a Pieroway 10' 5 wt and I like it for lake fishing. Build quality is great and I'd get another.

(And I own lots of rods...z axis, Loop Cross, etc)

(And almost all blanks are made off shore these days...don't limit yourself to those only rolled in North America)

I've built a half a dozen or so of his rods as well as a couple from some other off shore manufacturers and I seem to be able to land fish with them as well as the guy next to me with his $800 NRX or Sage 1. He's always been good to deal with and has come a long way from his attic above the wood shop in the S.E.

But like Uber said everyone is different and likes a different rod for their own casting style.

• 3 weeks later...