Fly Fusion Forums

Govt Bull Trout Survey

Thanks for the link.

But where is the data? How is someone supposed to form a valid opinion without data extending across the species range? I fish across the west-country of Alberta and find bullies are still hurting in some areas but seem to be recovering in others. I realize this applies to the Saskatchewan/Nelson Rivers only but still, where is the data? Public opinion/ emotion should not be the dominant force in a species listing, the average fisherman can't even recognize a bull trout over the other species. I'm a huge bull trout fan and would like to see them recover everywhere but still, shouldn't data/ background info be provided?

More information if you're looking for it. I think it's a joke to consult on this. It's either threatened or not, regardless if I personally feel that they are or aren't. Will allow pressure from groups who want them not threatened, as to further damage their environment (cough cough - Hidden Creek logging).

:

https://www.registrelep-sararegistry.gc.ca/default.asp?lang=En&n=66D187ED-1

http://www.registrelep-sararegistry.gc.ca/virtual_sara/files/cosewic/sr_omble_tete_plat_bull_trout_1113_e.pdf

Assessment Summary November 2012

Common name

Bull Trout - Saskatchewan - Nelson Rivers populations

Scientific name

Salvelinus confluentus

Status

Threatened

Reason for designation

This freshwater fish is broadly distributed east of the Rocky Mountains. It is a slow-growing and late-maturing species that thrives in cold, pristine waters and often requires long unimpeded migratory routes joining spawning to adult habitat. Historical range contractions now limit the populations to the foothills and east slopes of the Rocky Mountains, likely in response to habitat deterioration and reduced habitat connectivity through damming of the larger rivers. No populations are abundant and more than half show evidence of decline. The primary and persistent threats

to these populations include competition and hybridization with introduced Eastern Brook Trout and climate-induced increases in water temperature. Although legal harvest has been eliminated, this species is highly catchable and is therefore likely susceptible to catch and release mortality in many areas that are accessible to recreational anglers. Consequently, an aggregate decline in abundance of > 30% over the next three generations is projected.

Occurrence

Alberta

Status history

Designated Threatened in November 2012.

Agreed,pretty hard to form an opinion without hard data vs. anecdotal,localised observations.

I'm assuming this Sask/Nelson watershed plan includes the Bow,NSR and tribs?

My concern with having Bulls listed as threatened stems from my experience with same re: Atlantic Salmon.Back in the early 90's,most,if not all(?) of the Inner Bay of Fundy rivers were "temporarily" closed to salmon angling.They remain closed to this day,including a few examples that have made encouraging recoveries to some degree in recent years,namely a few of the Saint John River tribs,Nashwaak,Hammond,and Kennebecasis.Incidental catches of Atlantics by "trout" anglers were on the rise,although it remained(remains) illegal to target Atlantics on IBOF rivers.There was a lot of enthusiasm for the possibility of re-opening these rivers to C&R angling at least,but........the problem being,in the Maritimes,and in particular in regards to Atlantic Salmon Management,is that outdated native treaties and rights give that user group priority over all others.

In other words...native harvest trumps recreational angling which trumps commercial harvest.

Now that said,it's not likely that we will ever again see commercial harvest of wild Atlantics in Canada(I'm not complaining),but to re-open these rivers even to C&R,flyfishing only angling,means it's also open to native harvest....now how F'd up is that!!!

Anyhow....that's my concern with bulls....if they're listed as threatened,might it become illegal to target them at all,as is the case back east,albeit "trout" anglers on the Nashwaak are swinging Green Machines,Undertakers,and green butt black bears,supposedly for speckled trout,blatantly thru well known historic salmon holding pools.....pretty hard to prove otherwise,as brookies will readily grab those flies also.

Lil' different with bulls,it's hard to say your targeting cutts when your stripping a 6" streamer?

Then again,as mentioned in a previous post....cutts are listed as threatened and no issue with targeting them for C&R....so maybe no concern at all,just yet another F'd up east coast native issue. :(

• Like 1