Fly Fusion Forums

Easing Into Fly Tying

relk19

I am looking at getting into fly tying, but am looking for some advice. Got a bunch of the small tools and whatnot for Christmas, and will be picking up a vice in the next day or so from fish tales (not too sure which one yet, but will be inquiring when I get there).

In regards to the learning process, what fly would you recommend I start on out the list of flies I plan to tie for next year?

Caddis

Caddis Pupae

Sex Dungeon

Skid Bitch

Soft Hackle Wet Fly

Bow River Bugger

Chernobly Ant

Prince Nymph

Clouser Minnow

Stimulator

Chironomid

Adams Fly

Griffiths Gnat

I plan to start off easy and have to take my time and look up the certain techniques as I run into them. Any help is appreciated! I may be taking the fly tying course at Fish Tales in February, but that is still a little ways away and I wanted to get my feet wet before then!

RelK19

I suggest you start off with a Black and Olive color woolly buggers. Its about as simple of a fly to make, gives you the experience of putting on beads, Lead wire(for weight if you want) and wrapping hackle. Start off with a #8 size hook. This fly will be productive. Then work on a Prince Nymph and Pheasant Tail nymph (with/out bead heads) #14- and work way down to #18. Chironomids are good but you need to start small, which can be a challenge to start off.

Then work on an Elk Hair Caddis, and Stimulators.

Hooking up with other fly tiers will help you learn a lot very fast.

Have fun tying.

Black Ant

• Like 1

youtube has some great tutorials.....look at Davie McPhail, he does a great job of explaining but does tie some tough flies....

Pheasant tails pretty good to start and no matter how theycome out they will eventually catch fish........good Luck and be ready for the addiction !!!!!!

Relk, check into The Hook and Hackle club. They have a beginner tying type of class. You would have to join the club. They have a booklet on their web site that should be a help to you.

You can always attend as a guest.Get your feet wet.Alot of the patterns you mention are tyed there.Start out with a w/bugger, get accustomed to materials, thread pressure.Most times materials are free to try.As opposed to Fly shops,where every session you buy materials to tie.

What about the worm?????????????? Best "fly" on the Bow

Never had luck on the worm myself. Tried it half a dozen times or so with no luck. Can't see it being very tough to tie though.

Thanks for the advice everyone! Giving me some good food for thought

As online tutorials go,I would say the FAOL fly tying courses are a great resource and well thought out,introducing you to new techniques as you advance thru the courses.Starting with the Beginners Flytying and progressing thru the Intermediate and Advanced sessions,you will progress thru the three,building on previously learned techniques and methods along the way from the simplest of flies in the Beginners to increasingly more complicated patterns thru the Intermediate and Advanced sections.Imho,it's a great foundation for learning skills you will use throughout your flytying life.Progress at your leisure/at your own pace,there's enuf to keep you busy for months.

Best of all.....it's 100% FREE! :)

http://www.flyanglersonline.com

Look under "FlyTying" in the drop down menu column on left.

• Like 2

I will re-emphasize getting someone to help you out. If you are picky, it will save you from throwing away some ugly flies. Online is helpful, but you still miss some techniques on how to hold material, proportions etc. I will also suggest watching Fly Tying the Anglers Art on PBS or online. I started watching LeRoy Hyatt many years ago. Great instruction and insight. He walks through each tie slowly with great detail and also shares good tips that you normally don't think about. He was my inspiration on learning to tie. A legend in instruction in my mind.

• Like 1

I will re-emphasize getting someone to help you out. If you are picky, it will save you from throwing away some ugly flies. Online is helpful, but you still miss some techniques on how to hold material, proportions etc. I will also suggest watching Fly Tying the Anglers Art on PBS or online. I started watching LeRoy Hyatt many years ago. Great instruction and insight. He walks through each tie slowly with great detail and also shares good tips that you normally don't think about. He was my inspiration on learning to tie. A legend in instruction in my mind.

X2 for both suggestions - a muse cuts down on the frustration immensley, and Hyatt is a good instructor

There are many, many great books on Tying...Charlie Craven, Skip Morris, Randall Kaufman have all written masterpieces....

One that really stuck with me was 'Fly Tying Methods' by Darrel Martin. He stresses materials handling to the highest order and is a great writer as well.

It dates from 1987, but is still relevent today. Been reprinted a couple times. Find one....get in.

• 3 weeks later...