Fly Fusion Forums

What Reel For My Creek Rod?

What do you need a drag for on a 2 wt!! ;-)

No drag per se, but you can adjust an allen screw and tighten it up internally. Works fine for all the small creeks I have fished. Even fished it on the Liv. Biggest thus far, 20" cutty!!

Lemme know if you want to cast it.

Peter

I was just wondering cause I just purchased a Hardy Zenith 4wt and was thinking of matching it with that reel because of the weight. I need a little drag cause I don't want a bow river brown breaking off because the lack there of.

Personal preference has a lot to do with it. Not everyone likes the same look or style. Lots of good brand names out there, My two fav's are my Islander IR2 a straight high quality clicker and my Hardy Cascapedia 4/5 that has a powerful disc drag for such a small reel. Lots of great options out there.

Yup, said the same to me, but I caved and left with it!

LoL

P

Galvan Brookie is a very nice piece of kit....!

Held one at Troutfitters, it just kept talking to me....'take me out of here, take me home'

I have a Sage Click II on my 2 weight, it balances my TXL perfectly...

• 1 month later...

Sage Click

Overpriced plastic guts...yuck!

I was thissssssss close to pulling the trigger on an Abel Creek 2 for my 3wt when I spotted a Marquis#4 w/spare spool on-line at 1/3 the cost of the new Abel.....needless to say my 3wt now wears a Marquis#4,couldn't be happier with it.

Regardless of what reel you get, just get something that you like the look of and fits your budget. All the reels in that size are going to be pretty much less than an oz difference in weight from one another and you won't feel that difference in your rod balance.

All it does is hold your line anyway and that's basically it.

Some advice that was given to me by one of the instructors in my beginner fly fishing course; he suggested that if you're going to spend money on fishing gear, spend it on the rod (making sure that you test cast as many rods in the length and weight class you're in the market for and buy the one you like best in your price range, regardless of the name), but if you are going to cut the cost on anything, make it the reel. All it is there for is to hold your line. The instructors name was Jim McLennan.

Just my two cents worth.

All it does is hold your line anyway and that's basically it.

Except when that 20+ Brown decides to take off for parts unknown and you reel is spinning, peeling line off like a tornado. I remember a cheap offshore reel that looked like a shiny hubcap that I had, jammed up and was unusable exempt of course by the trout, I wasn't impressed.

Agree 100% with Jim...skimp on the reel if you must.Id use a cheap reel before cheap line any day!

....and drag capabilities are wayyyyyyy overrated on any reel IMHO,but especially so on "trout size" reels.WTF do you need a drag for on a 3wt?Hell,every one of my outfits from 3wt trout rods to 9wt Spey wears a good'ol click n pawl classics.

I always find it quite amusing to read threads wherein the amazing drag of this reel or that is the subject,or better yet,recommendations to newbs regarding what reel they "need" to catch Bow R. trout,LMAO......they are TROUT fer chrissakes!!