Fly Fusion Forums

Fishing Logs

I was wandering how many use a fishing log and which one.

I have been using MyDailyfishinglog for the last few years . You just have to remember to code your special spots of course because it is online and keep a hard copy .

• Like 1

I keep track of the details of each and every trip I take flyfishing. I find my log helps me greatly. By detailing what worked or did not work on certain days and times of year on various streams, patterns emerge which are very helpful. A properly kept log enhances success greatly.

• Like 1

I keep track of the details of each and every trip I take flyfishing. I find my log helps me greatly. By detailing what worked or did not work on certain days and times of year on various streams, patterns emerge which are very helpful. A properly kept log enhances success greatly.

^x2

• Like 1

I have logs going back 20 years or so. All on paper of course, don't have to worry about a hard drive crashing. I find they are useful and also make interesting reading as I can see the changes in my technique and attitude. Plus the changes in the streams I have fished.

• Like 1

I'd love to see some examples shared here (Excel or whatever), if anyone is prepared to do so. I have a very basic one right now, where I am recording general location, flies used, any hatch noted, catches (hopefully), and a comments section. In the comments I am putting things like where I was more specifically at what time of day, where/when I was when seeing any bugs, and typically (as a rookie to the sport) approx how many I lost. For me, at this stage of the game losing fish is actually one of my signs of success :)

• Like 1

I just use an excel spreadsheet. Simple and easy to reference.

Same for me, except it is a google sheets spreadsheet. Don't keep track of my skunk days, although maybe I should.

I am curious how many fish people catch a year? I am at 63 for the year as of right now, which is a pretty big improvement over the 30 something I caught last year.

• Like 3

Been keeping a diary since early 90's, I thought I could learn the deep mysteries by keeping one. Keep track of location, basic weather, air temperature, wind speed, sky condition. I also keep track of what worked and what didn't as well as any funny, odd or ridiculous thing that happened. The thing that ended up being most important thing I keep track of is who I shared time on the water with. I never learned any deep dark secrets but I do use it to refresh my memory about a certain place and it always ends up being a walk down memory lane. Full of great times spent on beautiful waters pursuing feisty trout with the best of friends. Other wise it likely would have all turned into one big long day, it's been time we'll wasted.

• Like 4

Same for me, except it is a google sheets spreadsheet. Don't keep track of my skunk days, although maybe I should.

I am curious how many fish people catch a year? I am at 63 for the year as of right now, which is a pretty big improvement over the 30 something I caught last year.

I do the google spreadsheet too. One tab for each year. I record: flow, water temp, air temp, date, time, fish count and a comments area for random thoughts. Only been doing it 9 years, but the flow information probably helps me out the most.

Stew

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...