Fly Fusion Forums

Bow River Etiquette

Had a great float on the Bow on Monday. Only netted 2 bows (one just over 20") and a brown but it was a great day with my son.
I did have an interesting experience with another fisherman that raised some questions about etiquette when fishing a river.
We were floating in a drift boat. I had just bought the boat and it was our first trip on the Bow in several years. We started at Policemen's and soon after we floated past an individual fishing on his own (with his German Shepard) from a Lund Jonboat outfitted with a Yamaha 30 hp Jetdrive (maybe that's enough for some of you to recognize the individual). As we approached him I stayed to the far side of the river. This individual then leapfrogged past us several times to hit the best water. Each time we approached him I stayed to the middle or the far side of the river. After he leapfrogged us a couple times I thought he was being a little selfish. Then shortly after we passed the Cottonwood Golf Club he passed us again to beat us to the high bank on the south side of the river (I was told in the mid 80's that this stretch was known as the The Bay of Pigs and was a prime spot for large trout). He beat us there so, again, I stayed clear. As soon as we were too far downstream to pull in, he got back in his boat and headed upstream. It seems obvious he knew I would stay clear and he only stayed long enough to prevent us from fishing a prime location.

Has anyone ever experienced this type of behavior before? Is it acceptable? Am I being over sensitive?

Feedback appreciated.

Jay, Big: I think you're being a little naïve. When you are dealing with someone who is being deliberately rude, trying to make an unpleasant point, throwing his weight around, or expressing hostility, why would such a person fold in the face of a friendly request? I'd say sullen refusal or a loud F-off would be more likely. Besides, how do you even CATCH a jet-boater who's leapfrogging?

The people who are most likely to respond to friendly input are the very people who are the least likely to require it, because they're doing everything right to begin with.

The only recent time I tried to influence anyone's behaviour on the river was when a young couple planted themselves in the middle of the (pre-flood) Policeman's ramp and spent over half an hour inflating their raft and getting all of their little objects organized. They had orange coffee mugs that they placed on the ramp in a row like little pilons to keep people away. It was bizarre.

With three other parties waiting and ready to launch, I asked them to make way (since they could have dragged their raft to the side), but they bluntly refused. Even after they were inflated and in the water, they kept their raft in the middle of the holding area, one end on the gravel, physically blocking the rest of us from launching.

I finally told them that if they pulled that kind of crap on a busy Sunday in July, somebody would simply drive over their stupid raft. They didn't say a word in reply, but just left.

• Like 1

Had a great float on the Bow on Monday. Only netted 2 bows (one just over 20") and a brown but it was a great day with my son.

I did have an interesting experience with another fisherman that raised some questions about etiquette when fishing a river.

We were floating in a drift boat. I had just bought the boat and it was our first trip on the Bow in several years. We started at Policemen's and soon after we floated past an individual fishing on his own (with his German Shepard) from a Lund Jonboat outfitted with a Yamaha 30 hp Jetdrive (maybe that's enough for some of you to recognize the individual). As we approached him I stayed to the far side of the river. This individual then leapfrogged past us several times to hit the best water. Each time we approached him I stayed to the middle or the far side of the river. After he leapfrogged us a couple times I thought he was being a little selfish. Then shortly after we passed the Cottonwood Golf Club he passed us again to beat us to the high bank on the south side of the river (I was told in the mid 80's that this stretch was known as the The Bay of Pigs and was a prime spot for large trout). He beat us there so, again, I stayed clear. As soon as we were too far downstream to pull in, he got back in his boat and headed upstream. It seems obvious he knew I would stay clear and he only stayed long enough to prevent us from fishing a prime location.

Has anyone ever experienced this type of behavior before? Is it acceptable? Am I being over sensitive?

Feedback appreciated.

Your not being over sensitive. How does anyone compete with a jet boat? your drifting along and all of a sudden a jet boat passes you and fishes your water. Its water poaching and is no different that some douche walking into your run and casting. The fact that he's in a boat doesn't make it different, it just makes it a lot easier to do! IMO a guy passing you in a jet boat is the same as some guy running past you on the bank or from the parking lot to get to your/theyre water first. I also believe being in a jet boat causes a major disconnect as well. your in a boat and justyfied by having the power to pass someone, its not your fault not everyone else has a jet boat right...

Your not being over sensitive, there is no place for jet boats on the Bow River. IMO, every jet boat out there is poaching water, thats why they have jet boats. Its all about getting the jump on the other guy these days! Leap frogging people in jet boats is poaching, dropping in infront of walk and waders is poaching. As soon as a jet boat passes me on the river he's poaching my water imo. They're going where Im going, I just can't get there first because I dont have jet boat. Know one can compete with a guy who has a boat with a motor on it. Thats why I'll never buy a drift

My first reaction to this post is your full of $$$$ and don't have a clue about what it's all about.

So if a drift boat goes by you he's not poaching your water but if a jet goes by he is.

I have a jet and love it , I make a habit of going where your not going, I avoid all other boats and fisherman when I can.

It's merely transportation that's it.

To make a post stating that every boater out there is only on the water to one up everyone else is crap.

As this topic year after year gets beat to death the boats remain.

Certainly a few more this year because of the shortage of launches .

• Like 3

I agree with eagleflyfisher that not all boats are poaching. It's a big river and there is room for everyone if they just use a little common sense. leapfroging each other and taking turns hitting the perceived holes should work for everyone.

On Monday i wasn't overly offended until he leapfrogged to the high bank below cottonwood and once we were past the last point where we could have pulled in, he got in his boat and went back upstream.

• Like 1

Your not being over sensitive, there is no place for jet boats on the Bow River. IMO, every jet boat out there is poaching water, thats why they have jet boats. Its all about getting the jump on the other guy these days! Leap frogging people in jet boats is poaching, dropping in infront of walk and waders is poaching. As soon as a jet boat passes me on the river he's poaching my water imo. They're going where Im going, I just can't get there first because I dont have jet boat. Know one can compete with a guy who has a boat with a motor on it. Thats why I'll never buy a drift

My first reaction to this post is your full of $$$$ and don't have a clue about what it's all about.

So if a drift boat goes by you he's not poaching your water but if a jet goes by he is.

I have a jet and love it , I make a habit of going where your not going, I avoid all other boats and fisherman when I can.

It's merely transportation that's it.

To make a post stating that every boater out there is only on the water to one up everyone else is crap.

As this topic year after year gets beat to death the boats remain.

Certainly a few more this year because of the shortage of launches .

I like you're opinion :) except for the part where Im full of crap lol!!! I like the fact that your avoiding everyone out there. I get it man, I dont believe theres a place for jet boats on the Bow River. My point is the exact same as yours, you use it as transport, thats what they're all doing out there. Thats why I said, "you can't compete with someone thats got a jet boat" so when one goes flying past you on the river to get to a spot that your heading, I liken it to someone sprinting past you in the parking lot. I totally get it, i just dont agree with having a jet boats on the Bow river. Thats why I won't ever buy a drift boat, I'll buy a jet boat if it comes down to it because I want to get there too. I love you man!!

• Like 1

I agree with eagleflyfisher that not all boats are poaching. It's a big river and there is room for everyone if they just use a little common sense. leapfroging each other and taking turns hitting the perceived holes should work for everyone.

On Monday i wasn't overly offended until he leapfrogged to the high bank below cottonwood and once we were past the last point where we could have pulled in, he got in his boat and went back upstream.

and that my friend is just a jerky individual!

So I guess me, Dave, Dino John and a few others are the only considerate jet boaters. I highly doubt it, but a few ruin it for all. I go out of my way to look out for the other fisher. I have been encroached upon by many a drift boat over the years and jets. Sheize Happens. Just do your best. The goofs will always be goofs no matter the vessels. Have fun and fish. Yes sometimes it is hard not to get choked. My blood pressure is pretty good. How is yours?

• Like 1

I love going up stream (in the most respectful and safest way of course) and waving to shore fisherman and drifters... only to receive a *hit stare or arms raised in the air almost saying "are you f--n kidding me?" I think some of the biggest idiots on the bow are the guys that believe that they have some sort of superior position in comparison to others, not the hated gear chucker or jet boater. Public resource. Period.

• Like 2

Had a nice chat with a pontoon guy yesterday :) I had just showed up and saw him coming so i waited for him to hit the water I was going to fish. When he saw me he apologized immediately said "sorry i didn't see you there" I told him "no problem, I just showed up, go for it man" and as he went through we kinda chatted about the days fishing. Its all good!! looks like there was a spey class or something going on across the river, that was a lot of people.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Etiquette is always an issue on a busy river wherever you go, it applies to everyone, jet boaters, floaters and bank anglers, sadly I have seen and experienced seriously bad attitude from all sides over the years, just have to try and move past it!

• 1 month later...

So let me get this straight. A guy buys a jet boat so he can fish as efficiently as possible and you want him to not do this so you feel better about yourself? Perhaps focus on landing fish and not bitching about what other people are doing, it's a dog eat dog world.

Let me get this straight, that's what you took from the OP? Dog eat Dog? Really? Good Lord man, rise above.

DWO said nothing against jets, just weak character.

DWO,

You showed common courtesy, now you know he does not deserve it in the future. No retaliatory actions necessary, just fish your water as you see fit and ignore this particular user on the river.

I have nothing against jets or anyone else for that matter. I DO have something against ignorant behavior though.

better yet, bumping a 2 month old bump to 'get this straight'

Really, all the Bow needs is more boat launches. Our infrastructure for fishing is laughable. If you could throw a boat in at 17th ave, douglasdale, cottonwood, it would open so much river and different floats up, and move people around. Our main issue is that for the vast majority of anglers, is that police to mac is the only real stretch that they'll fish, therefore condensing all the anglers.

Less of an issue, as it is something that makes me scratch my head, is the jet boaters that use there jets to hang out with the drifters all day... I don't think i'd fish a day above mack if i was under power, and i'd spend many many days below carseland.

• Like 1

River etiquette has really taken a shot here... Fishing in the states you come to expect things like that and soon that will be the same here and any river... We just have to many people jumping into the sport and not really sitting down and understanding why many of us chose the sport. However it is nice to own a jet boat but I just don't think the bow is right place but again I don't own one so what do I know. Better to just do the better smile and move on

Honestly the Bow is not that bad. A few times people have jumped in front of me in a run or floated through something I was fishing. I deal with it by telling them off or casting at them. Try fishjng the Vedder in early January, it's nuts! There is nothing wrong with jet boats I've seen them used in smaller rivers than the Bow.