Fly Fusion Forums

Hopper/dropper Paterns And Rigging?

PlayDoh

Hi, I've used a two nymph and a nymph-streamer rig but never a hopper/dropper rig. I've read all about it, yet I'm wondering if there are some Bow river or local 'goto' rigs or flies? Also, I'm aware that how the 2/3 flies are rigged will drastically effect the presentation. I've mainly read that if one is using a standard hopper/dropper, that you want the dropper to be near the bottom. Normally I've read that when trying to get a fly to the bottom, one should double the depth of the water in the length of the leader/tippet. However I'm thinking that with a Hopper acting like a bobber, this calculation wouldn't be effective. Maybe tying the dropper at or near the actual depth is better?

I'm sure a bead head nymph commonly used around here (PN, Hare's ear, ect) are effective droppers at a #14-#18 size, but I have no idea as to size and type of hopper fly. I'd also imagine that the Hopper should have lots of hackle, and a generous amount of floatant to work right. I've also read that the hopper should be larger then the dropper, so maybe a #6-#12?

I have no dry flies at the moment and I'm planning on grabbing some and rigging up some various systems so there ready to use on the river. Hence the questions. Does anyone else do that? pre-rig 2-3 fly setups? If so, how do you store them. What are common leader lengths (before the flies)?

Also, the setup where the Hopper is tied to the leader directly, what situations is that intended for? I can't help but think the knot would weaken the leader, and I've also forgotten what knot is recommended. Is there any real difference in presentation compared to just tying the dropper to the Hopper's hook? I've also read that you can tie the dropper through the eye of the Hopper, which I would assume effects the presentation and drag.

I'm thinking since I have a few knot-less leaders that I'm going to use a loop-loop leader system for awhile. This way I can have a number of pre-rigged leaders that can be easily swapped, rather then tying knots midstream.

Thanks for any help.

A hopper-dropper system is used in the warmer months when you have larger insects on the surface that the fish are eating. I usually tie the hopper to my tippet with an improved clinch knot or if the fly is size 10 or larger a palomar knot. I then tie the dropper nymph to the bend of the hopper hook. The rule of thumb I was told was that the dropper should be at least two sizes smaller than the hopper, so for example with a size 12 hopper you use a size 16 dropper. The length of the line between the flies is about 18 inches, for deep nymphing you would use an indicator or do the Czech nymphing thing.

This is my “go to” style for most of the summer season. I use a foam Chernobyl type hopper (tan and brown) or a juicy stim 95% of the time. My dropper changes but is usually a size 16. You can use your usual leader set up at about 8 – 9’ and then the hopper. I then use a 20 - 24” piece of tippet tied on the hook bend of the hopper fly. As you are casting the hopper toward the banks most of the time you shouldn’t need much more. I find the longer the dropper the more tangles occur. There are other ways to do it but this seems to work and is usually hassle free.

With regards to your question on how to store several ready to go rigs, I use a type of small spool used to store craft ribbon that my wife gives me when she finishes a spool. Also I plan on keeping empty mono and floro reels as I empty them from now on. I just wrap my rig onto the spools and throw an elastic on and I can have two or three different rigs ready with a loop to loop connection to my line.

Does anyone else do that? pre-rig 2-3 fly setups? If so, how do you store them. What are common leader lengths (before the flies)?

I'll be pre-rigging a lot more than 2-3 setups once I get my hands on one of these. This is going to save a lot of time down at the river.

I have that Orvis multi dropper-rig box. Very nice, but I learned a great method from SilverDoctor that is far lighter to carry around...and cost nothing.

Use a small piece of corrugated cardboard, a couple of inches long and an inch wide. Then cut a v-notch in each end and wind the tippet with flys around the cardboard. Works great.

you could also keep those old tippet spools. works great for hopper/dropper, dry/dry, worm/nymph rigs. the cardboard would be optimal as you could embed the hook into the cardboard.

the only problem i see with the cardboard is that it would get wet and wear down and fold over time (is this your experience?).

I have that Orvis multi dropper-rig box. Very nice, but I learned a great method from SilverDoctor that is far lighter to carry around...and cost nothing.

Use a small piece of corrugated cardboard, a couple of inches long and an inch wide. Then cut a v-notch in each end and wind the tippet with flys around the cardboard. Works great.

I just rigged up a few of these:

DropperRig.jpg

These are going to work great for me. Thanks for the excellent tip.

JV