Fly Fusion Forums

Need New Tires! Suggestions?

The time has come to replace the tires on my 1994 Mazda B4000 pick up...I don't know much about buying tires as I have only done it once before. I'm looking for an all terrain tire as I only use my truck in the summer to drive to the "Cutty Hut". I would appreciate any suggestions on what to get and specifically, where to buy them. I live downtown so somewhere close would be great. Thanks all!!

I've bought several sets of All Terrain tires for my trucks over the years.

I can recommend from personal experience:

Goodyear Duratrac - if you want something somewhat aggressive but still very nice on the highway. They also work very well in snow but less so on ice.

BF Goodrich AT KO - I liked very much and they wear like iron if kept properly inflated.

General Grabber AT2 - A good friend has these on his Tundra and has been very happy with them. Similar to the AT KO's but quite a bit cheaper

I've almost always found buying my tires from Tire Rack was the least expensive and the shipping is very quick and easy although occasionally I've seen better deals locally, especially with the Grabber AT2's which are sometimes discounted quite a bit at Canadian Tire.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Mike

I personally run a set of Toyo Open Country AT and love them.

Good traction in the back country and a pretty smooth ride on the highway.

Currently on a 2006 Nissan Xterra off-road and have 50,000 kms on them with a good amount of tread left.

I did go with a 10 ply tire so a thicker rubber.

I'm also looking for new tires, but I'm not sure if I'd need AT... I mostly drive in the city and then out to fishing spots on the weekend.

Also, if my 4runner is rated for 265/65-17 sized tires.. I probably shouldn't purchase a bigger tire right?

Red I think in a lot of situations you could go a bit bigger as long as you have the clearance in your wheel well. I would imagine with the amount of 4runners on the road there are a lot of people who might have experience with that.

That being said when you start altering tire sizes I would imagine if could have some changes on handling and smoothness of ride.

I'm also looking for new tires, but I'm not sure if I'd need AT... I mostly drive in the city and then out to fishing spots on the weekend.

Also, if my 4runner is rated for 265/65-17 sized tires.. I probably shouldn't purchase a bigger tire right?

I do quite a bit of offroading and overland style travel with my Toyota Landcruisers and I have always upsized my tires for more ground clearance. It depends on the vehicle but you should be able to go up 1-2" in total diameter and still fit the wheel wells and clear suspension components. For example my 100-series cruiser has 33" tires compared with the 31" stock size.

Unless you are doing a fair amount of offroading or are on roads that require significant clearance to get to your fishing spots I wouldn't bother with upsizing tires and the associated compromises (poorer fuel economy, speedometer calibration, increased wear, etc.).

That's my $0.02!

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

Toyo open country at. Great tire so far, run them on Nissan pathfinder with occasional tow. Previously had Bridgestone that barely made it past 2014 km, toyos are still running strong 4th season and close to 40000 km.

For small tires it's hard to beat deals from wall mart or ct

I run the goodyear Duratracks. They make a little noise on the highway but I like the meaner look of them. Treadwear has been very good on mine, sitting around 30,000km and figure I'll get a couple more years out of them for sure. Probably ran me around $1600 to get em, I'm also running the largest size avaliable though!

I realize now after searching the internet that it is difficult to find All Terrain tires in 14" size these days. I'm going to need to go to some tire centre's and talk to the experts. Wheel wells are big so I may be able to go to 15". I guess I better go do some leg work.

The time has come to replace the tires on my 1994 Mazda B4000 pick up...I don't know much about buying tires as I have only done it once before. I'm looking for an all terrain tire as I only use my truck in the summer to drive to the "Cutty Hut". I would appreciate any suggestions on what to get and specifically, where to buy them. I live downtown so somewhere close would be great. Thanks all!!

Do you have to take a trail in 4wd to get there? I know I've seen Tiana and RickR mention it on Facebook but that's the extent of my knowledge. If it's just off gravel roads I think an AT tire would be overkill for you. Is it more traction or a better ride you're looking for on the 40 or something?

My wheels are small so I have a limited selection... which sucks. P225 70R14

Another option would be to buy 15" wheels and put a 225/65/15 tire on. They're roughly the same size and might open up your options, though having to buy wheels would make it a little more expensive.

What kind of roads are you driving to the fishing spots? If it's just off the 40 you should be ok with most tires. I wouldn't go with bigger tires unless you're ready to cut, heat gun, and hammer stuff in your wheel wells. You'd probably also have to do a body mount chop to avoid rubbing at full lock if you go up to something like a 285/70/17. Unless you do a suspension lift you'll probably also rub your fender liners when you hit bumps at higher speeds.

If you guys want some better traction and a smoother ride on gravel roads like the 40, just let some air out of your tires. Don't go below 25 psi and don't drive above 70 km/h if you do this though. You'll also want to buy a reliable compressor to get back up to your stock psi before you hit blacktop again though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...