Fly Fusion Forums

Skeena In September

rosswilson

An 8 wt two hander is a good all-round rod for the Skeena in September. I'm assuming you're lined with a skagit? MOW tips work well. You can use some of your 10' or 15' DC sink tips from your heavier single hand rods. You can also buy a bulk spool of T-14 and make your own tips ranging from 8, 10, 12 and 15'. (lots of good info on making tips and various steelhead rigs on the Deneki site).

If I can, I prefer to use DC sink tips, usually a type 6 or 8, over T-tips as I think they cast easier. I'd say tip selection is more important than fly selection, so bring enough tips to get you down in various water conditions, and bring a few spares.

I use myself a 7wt for all my steelhead fishing , if I was going to target chinooks then I'd pump it up to a 9 or 10 wt in a Spey rod

As for tips , I've had and used them mow tips , they ok , I now prefer to use rio type tips , I just them better , I carry on me at all times a type 3, 6 , and 8

You go fish and you'll figure it out fast

Good luck

I like an 8wt rod in the 12-13 foot range.

Its nice to have a variety of tips in different lengths.

I also like to have a few of the same patterns with no dumbells, medium bells, and heavy bells according to the water conditions.

As for specific flies- who knows? What ever jumps out at ya and one that you wont second guess half way through a run.

Fish Tales can custom weld tips in any length and sink rate that you want.

well i purchased a setup i got a12' #7 greys grxi+ rod with a grx900 reel . i ran rios technical shooting line and airflo 510 skagit compact .last but not least i bought a set of med mow tips.what are your guys thoughts on this setup comments and tips much appreciated

thanks all

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

well i purchased a setup i got a12' #7 greys grxi+ rod with a grx900 reel . i ran rios technical shooting line and airflo 510 skagit compact .last but not least i bought a set of med mow tips.what are your guys thoughts on this setup comments and tips much appreciated

thanks all

Far be it for me to be giving any kind of 2H casting advice,but Airflo's line chart reccomends a 450gr Compact Skagit for that particular rod.

Again,I am far from being any kind of authority,being somewhat of a Spey newb myself,,jest sayin??

Assuming you are in/near CGY,if I'm not mistaken FishTales offers a "loaner line" program wherein you can try out a few different lines with a deposit for the day to dial in your rod?Personally speaking,I've yet to take advantage of this,mainly because I don't feel I have enough 2H experience yet to make an educated choice,but it is an option that's available to you.That,and I'm already running Airflo's chart reccomended line on my rig and assume the chart was compiled by those with far more knowledge and experience than myself,lol.

Airflo chart:

http://www.rajeffsports.com/spey_chart.pdf

• 1 month later...

thanks all

I have one of those rods, great for just about anywhere. I've been fishing it all winter in the Bow.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

7 or 8 wt is perfect, 12 ft or so is preferable. I have 15 ft cannons only because they were cheaper when I bought them. The Echo rods are nice and not too expensive. I run gel spun on the reel to slickshooter then a shooting head. Bring tips to cover a large range. The mow tips should be perfect but they are expensive. It is advantageous to bring a bunch of bulk line to make your own tips should you need to. Make sure you have floating and intermediate. Its a blast to skate. I usually have one rod set to skate and another for dredging.