Fly Fusion Forums

Light Spey Lines.

CF8

Recently came across an very good deal on a light trout Spey, so decided it might be a nice way to get into Spey fishing. I already love swinging streamers for trout.

Anyways, I picked up an 11 foot 5wt rod with a grain window of 300-350. Does anyone have any line recommendations? Would a short Skagit be the way to go for tossing weighted streamers around? Any experience with the new Switch lines out there?

Just looking to get pointed in the right direction to get started...

I personally like the airflo lines, never fished quite that light.

Skagit lines are designed for turning over sinking tips and generally larger/heavier flies. Scandi heads are longer and used for fishing small flies /dry flies.

Another option that is kind of a happy medium between the two is the new switch chucker line from Rio. Designed for lighter shorter rods and eliminate the need for running line make is easier to nymph if need be.

Best thing to do would be to stop by one of the local shops and borrow the scandi-skagit demo kits and see what suits your casting style/rod. Shops can also set you up with lesson to get ya started.

I concur with the demo kits with the caveat that you have to be able to use the spey rod first. If you are totally new at it, trying out a bunch of lines wont help.

generally for the novice, heavier lines are easier to cast, but and it is a BIG but, first few times in your hand will only get you frustrated. There are a bunch of good spey instructors around (Max, Toolman and Dutchie come to mind immediately but there are many others.) I would suggest you arrange with one of them, or someone from the shop to give the demo's a try.

On my deer creek / with a grain window of 350 to 55, I am using a 400 skagit and I use it for streamers. On my 3/4 amundson I am using a 250 gr snowbee switch line, and use it for nymphing. the amundson doesnt like the big streamers, and the dc has mending issues with the thick 400 line. OK, I have the mending issues.

Have fun, and welcome to the dark side