Fly Fusion Forums

Ice Fishing?

Guest colinm

This may tick some people off since this is a fly fishing forum, or lead to some jokes that this belongs in 'Not Fishing Related' but here it goes...

I'm keen to try some ice fishing this winter. Does anyone have recommendations on a beginner-friendly lake that has thick, stable ice? Would prefer something within an hour or two of Calgary.

Thanks!

I like Upper Kananaskis lake for ice fishing from December on. It is no bait so you can jig the cutties over with some wet flies and the bulls with some streamers. The fishing is not steller but the water is crystal clear so you see what they like and what they don't go for. The beauty of the place is sure to reduce some stress and clear your head. The "shore" ice can seem sketchy because it is thinner and it cracks and breaks a lot but it is just over top of rocks, also because it slopes it is slippery because of the draw down in the reservoir but you will be fine once you get past that. There are lots of ski tracks to follow if you are unsure where to go.

• 3 weeks later...

As someone said, go to Alberta Outdoorsmen forum, plenty of info.

Also, chain has not been as good this year as it has in recent years. Try Pine Coulee Reservoir for little walleye if you're in the south.

If you want to stick closer to FLY fishing, head to Spray lakes reservoir and drop some tiny, shiny nymphs for Rockies. Try in about 7 fow, preferably off a point. I like a #16 copper john with a bigger pheasant tail as a dropper.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ArtVandelay

If you ever want to give it a try just let me know. I go often and I have a full compliment of gear: large tent, heater, rods galore, tackle, flasher, and camera...you won't need to bring anything. I'm off work till February so shoot me a PM and give me a couple of days notice and we can hook up somewhere. I go to Clear and Twin often for pike and I've been really liking Badger lately.