Fly Fusion Forums

Anyone Have A Big Green Egg?

I've been thinking about getting a BGE for years and am finally getting ready to take the plunge. I've been debating on whether I should get the L or XL but the price difference has me leaning heavily towards the Large. Does anyone here have one? and if so any advice or tips to pass along before I make my final decision. Thanks in advance.

Smoked ribs, briskets, pulled pork, turkey breasts... I cant wait! I've been using smoke boxes/pouches on my propane grill with decent results but its kind of a pain, and even cooking indirectly with one burner on low it still gets too hot for real low and slow cooking plus the smoke pouches only last about 20-30 mins and they are a hassle to change out as they have to sit under the grates. Can't wait until I get something that can do it the right way and the BGE's are supposed to hold the heat extremely well so I can have real BBQ all winter long too.

I've been looking as well. I'll probably go for a large. Not that you move these things lots, but I think the XL would be a beast to manage.

I might go for another brand to save some cash but would jump on a BGE at a decent price. Anyone got one they would part with?

I actually stopped by BBQ Galore again today and was almost talked into leaving with a Big Steel Keg. It's the same size as the large BGE and comes with all the accessories that add another $500 or so to the BGE for roughly half the price. I'll have to read up on that one some more too.

I have had the BSK for 3 years and love it! IMHO both the BSK and BGE can produce the same results and I have tried both. If you buy a copy you will not be able to get accessories that work. ie) temp controller. This is key for the long slow cooks with stable temps. Once you go charcoal you will never go back, but plan on a year of experimenting to dial it in. Lots of web sites out there.

Mac

My dad has one. (its about 10 yrs old, Large I think)

He has this whole procedure for cooking turkey in it.

i.e. when to wrap it in foil, when to remove it, when to add water for moisture etc.

It comes out really moist, so much that I dont mind eating turkey days and days after christmas.

Not dry like the oven, but i also suspect he's putting more time into getting it right in the BGE.

I prefer the taste when cooking over charcoal, but the BGE gets really hot and i find it hard to regulate the temperature.

Harder to cook the smaller stuff like chicken wings, drum sticks etc without burning them.

Like cmakski saysm it takes a year to get it working for you, with lots of stuff ups in between.

enjoy!

I have a 21" diameter charcoal grill and can't imagine having smaller diameter. I'd definitely go with the 24".

Is there a reason why you're not considering a Weber Charcoal BBQ? I BBQ and smoke with mine year round. Turkeys, ribs, pulled pork, whole chickens, fish, lamb... They are also not nearly 200lbs which is nice IMO.

• Like 1

Just thought it would be easier (less babysitting) with the better heat retention on the eggs/kegs as compared to a standard charcoal bbq. One load of charcoal can last up to 24 hrs vs adding more charcoal every hour or so in a standard weber for long slow cooks. I was also thinking the better heat retention would be better for bbq'ing year round. I'm new to the charcoal scene so just trying to get as many opinions as possible before I make my decision.

That's fair. You are probably right about the babysitting being less. I must say that unless I'm cooking hot (400+) I am putting on new coals less frequently than once an hour. I am however adding more soaked wood onto the coals once an hour and I suspect you'll have to do the same with a keg.

My decision was also to stick with a weber was also influenced by price. I haven't used a keg style BBQ but all my friends that have them love them. I think you'll be very happy regardless of which one you choose.

• 2 weeks later...

Another completely different route is a pellet smoker. Traeger is the leading brand. Perfect temp control all the way between fairly cold smoke(ie<100winter and about 140 summer) to 425f plus. About 10 different kinds of hardwood pellets. Op costs are WAY lower than buying charcoal. If you watch the bbq shows carefully you'll see that most of the pros with big mobile pits also have a Traeger or two and pellet smokers have won some big contests. The best thing is that all it takes make real bbq is throwing a switch. I don't think you can get cold or semi cold smoke in an egg so you won't really be able to smoke fish. The Traeger with a digital temp control (which you want)costs about $900. I've ended up with two of them.