Fly Fusion Forums

The Golfing Got My Brain

I started fishing when I was 4 or 5 years old, and with the exception of a notable time in my 20s when I did not fish much (getting up early in the mornings to fish salt water was not conducive to my mostly nocturnal existence), I've been doing it pretty much all my life. I picked up golf a little later (I was 12- but in the early 70s if you were a kid you had to hide any golf obsession), and the two of them have battled for supremacy ever since.

My first fish on the fly rod, coinciding with my "discovery" of flowing water 6 or 7 years ago swung the battle decisively towards fishing. I still played some, but maybe 5 or 6 rounds a year, and mostly in scrambles. I played enough to know the game was still in there, but not enough to have it come out to stay all that often. My wife is of the firm, unshakable opinion that I can only have two hobbies at a time, and that one of them needs to be her. So my golf game languished in favor of my new and shiny mistress, the Bow River. That and the fact I had the yips!

Over the past few months, I've been playing around with a new putting grip I've seen Mickelson and Garcia use, and it seemed to have cleared up the yips. I played in a scramble a month or so ago, putted great, and thought "ok, that was fun. I remember why I love this game." Played a couple of rounds on my own in Panorama, and continued to put good, and at some point the switch in my brain decisively swung from fly fishing as hobby in primacy to golf. Went out, bought a new set of Taylor Made clubs, a couple of new Cleveland wedges, and a new fat ass grip for my putter. I realized how much I'd been focusing my attention to golf when I was here on FFC on saw about 20 threads I hadn't read at all!

Anyway, don't know how long it will last. Not like I'm going to quit fishing or anything, but I can see the number of trips taking a decided turn south (though I am starting to really like hike in fishing, and my wife joins me on those so she is ok with it). I do hope to get out once more this year with my sons to chase cutties, but I think that I'll mostly be on the sidelines watching from afar. That is, at least until I start reading stories about fantastic fishing a few years from now when all these little fish on the bow start to grow up........

Hey Rick, I know what there of you speak...I too have tried to balance both recreations over the past few years and this year so far golf has won out. My boat was giving me the proverbial fish eye whenever I grabbed the clubs and walked by it in the garage. And to add to the conumdrum, pheasant season is coming up. Much like you we have a property in the Kootenays where both the fishing and golfing are world class. Let's just enjoy both equally when at play as many others in the world never get to see such special places ....and don't forget to try Wildstone in Cranbrook...incredible golf at a reasonable price ( just close your eyes when crossing the 8 trout streams/rivers between here and there)....sk

With the flood I too have been playing more,even a couple of 39's this year!But With fall approaching and a new dog my passion for fishing has been sparked lately and will be on the river every chance I get for the rest of the year.

$100 for 4 1/2 hrs of frustration starts to get to ya after awhile.

Great topic

If you expend as much effort at golfing that you do at fly fishing, you may be a single digit handicap some day.

I went in reverse; single digit handicap, tried fly fishing', screwed up my swing completely. Only because I didn't golf much.

Now I have trouble breaking 80 & have not fished recently.

Something to do with the wrist & age.

Both great activities!

I was a 5 before the fly rod took over. Hope to get back there (and honestly, my tee to green is as good as ever-but my putter seems to be experiencing that dreaded y word). I went on a golf trip this weekend-played really well first round until I turned a pretty sure 4 ft birdie into a soul crushing, multiple skin losing bogey. Putted like crap the rest of the trip, considered throwing my clubs in the gulley on #6 at Greywolf. Stupid game. And bobloblaw-that is still my spot. Treat it with respect and mild usage!

Great topic

If you expend as much effort at golfing that you do at fly fishing, you may be a single digit handicap some day.

I went in reverse; single digit handicap, tried fly fishing', screwed up my swing completely. Only because I didn't golf much.

Now I have trouble breaking 80 & have not fished recently.

Something to do with the wrist & age.

Both great activities

• Like 1

You're fortunate Rick - only 2 hobbies. Training for a new interest in endurance cycling interfered with both golf and fishing this year. At the Kootenay fondo, the start was at St. Eugene Golf Resort and I was distracted a bit when we rode across the St. Marys river and one of the rest stations was beside the Bull River. +9 in the first 2 holes yesterday shows how far the golf skill dropped.

I was a 5 before the fly rod took over. Hope to get back there (and honestly, my tee to green is as good as ever-but my putter seems to be experiencing that dreaded y word). I went on a golf trip this weekend-played really well first round until I turned a pretty sure 4 ft birdie into a soul crushing, multiple skin losing bogey. Putted like crap the rest of the trip, considered throwing my clubs in the gulley on #6 at Greywolf. Stupid game. And bobloblaw-that is still my spot. Treat it with respect and mild usage!

You certainly aren't the first one that that has ever happened to, and you will do it more times probably; been there done that.

But I think that you will admit that hitting a bunch of good golf shots & posting a decent score is very rewarding.

I would compare a good golf game to successfully stalking a large trout in a river and outwitting it.

I have shot 66, but I have never outwitted a 26 inch trout on the Bow!

The y word is bad, the 'sha' word is worse.

Play as much as you can, while you can.

The y word is bad, the 'sha' word is worse.

Play as much as you can, while you can.

Had the el hosels for awhile many years ago. They go away. (And without buying any Tin Cup inspired contraptions!) Those putting woes seem to stick around, and around, and around. Weirdest mental thing ever. What is hardest for me is how they start to impact all of your game. Since you have no faith in your ability to scramble (can't scramble if you can't putt), every bad shot becomes a potential disaster, making each shot feel more important than it is. And while you know intellectually that it really doesn't mean anything, that stupid reptilian brain of ours thinks otherwise.

66 huh? Sweet. Have had a few rounds before I sort of quit where breaking par was a strong possibility, but have never broken that barrier. I'm confident that if I get the putting woes put to bed, sub 70 is certainly in the cards. 66 though? Hard to imagine.

Winter is coming....

you'll be fishing soon enough. I truly believe that there has been a lot of this going around this season. Losing that first half of july, a good wack of anglers didn't break out the rods this summer, and by the time the fishing was back in shape they were not all that into getting out there. I'm sure all the fly shops would agree that it's been a tougher season, even after the flooding. Was pretty weird floating the city in july and seeing 1 or 2 walk and wade guys..

Had the el hosels for awhile many years ago. They go away. (And without buying any Tin Cup inspired contraptions!)

Great point; try to hit one.

Took a lesson to get rid of them. The pro finally just walked away & said they will go away ,& they did.

Cost a lot of money in bets before they did!

My 66 had 2 eagles, one from about 70 feet & one from about 8 inches, 4 birds & 2 doubles.

Never to happen again.

As far as the putting goes, it will come back again ( hopefully ).

As you know, once you start making a few 6-8 footers you will make more of them.

Still the most frustrating but rewarding game around.

Good luck.