Fly Fusion Forums

Drift Boat Etiquette

shc

I have to wonder if proper drift boat etiquette is a thing of the past.

I used to guide on the bow, I don't get on the river much anymore. I did a float from police to mac on Saturday. The actions of a guide boat we saw just wouldn't have cut it in my day. we were parked on the bank just downstream of policemans on river left, changing flies. We see a blue aluminium Hyde (at the boat launch someone called him mike) fishing drys to the bank, as he gets closer he does not change his line what so ever, as his clients are almost ready to cast onto our boat he asks if it's OK if he fishes the bank downstream of us. I was kind of in shock that this bonehead was ignorant enough to run his boat like this, I replied "I guess its all right,,,, it's not like we were going to fish that bank anyways" so this dork fishes right on down the bank.

We were changing from nymphs to a hopper type rig, we just left the nymph rig and went on with our day, we did not let this guide ruin our day, it is just one bank after all. But I was sad to see the actions of this guide, I don't know who he was working for, but if I did I would be calling the outfitter.

Later on in the day he floated by us going down the middle of the river talking on his cell phone, so it appears that he not only has no river etiquette, but not much of work a ethic also, when I guided I spent my day working for the clients not talking on the phone.

I hope what we saw was just one guides disrespect of others, not the way most guides are drifting. All the other boats we saw that day were doing the right thing IMO, even the canoes and rafts gave us more room than this guy.

This isn't the only guide on the bow who lacks respect. In the last 2 years and most recently just a few weeks ago, I have had 2 sponsors of this very site row right through water I was fishing.

The first incident was a shop owner who decided to row between the bank and where my boat was anchored, I was rigging up to cast at a riser and he rowed on through stripping streamers and right over my riser. As he went by he asked if i minded, I said I did but it was too late and the apology was worthless at that point. He knew better and I could tell. Getting even with him has been easy I and everyone I can tell never shop at his store. This includes several guide friends if mine that will drive great distances with clients to avoid his shop, this brings me peace.

The second, most recent incident, shocked me. It was an early morning float from Police to Mac, only 3 boats out at this time of the morning. We had had good luck on foam near the bank all morning and decided to stop and swing some streamers with our switch rods? The well-known and easy to ID power drifter approached on a very cast reachable line, I assumed he'd move out but when he saw me cast beyond his boat line but it was not to be. He proceeded to row right through my water and then say something like, "I told you guys (the clients) not to cast right here." then to me, "I told them but they never listen" followed with a chuckle. Now I know it likely didn't upset the fish I caught right after he rowed by (that felt great) but he knew better, I've seen him provide advice to people on this forum regarding space that a boat should give shore fisherman and he's a sprey caster so I know for sure he could tell where I was casting too.

It's too bad that this goes on but it's flyfishing in the new millennium, "combat fishin" what they call it on California rivers. I'm not much for combat so I'll just keep hoping that fish gods will take care of those that can't follow the etiquette of the river. Oh ya and the facT that that shop owners little stunt likely costs him a bit in revenue.

I don't get out much anymore due to the wife and newborn. On Thursday the stars and planets lined up because I was able to get out on a overcast day with two old friends that don't get to get out on the river nearly enough anymore. Get to the launch and nobody there, not a big deal 'cause we are a little bit early, it's going to rain and I was thinking probably everyone is up top due to gas prices.

Fishing couldn't of been better, twitch......twitch..... goooosh type of morning with a beautiful river and great company. We stopped on a long

great stonefly bank that we could split up and spend an hour or two on it.

Thats when I looked up stream and seen a parade of boats coming towards us. I first got a little mad when a couple of them stopped just upstream of us to re rig their bobber rigs because they lost their worms nymphing a high shale cliff bank. I got really pissed when the first one went right over the gravel bar I was fishing, I just had four eats where that boat floated over. When the third boat did the the same thing as the first boats it was kinda fun to try to hook to their bobbers, I could of easily laid one across the lap of the guide.

How hard would of it been to make six oar strokes and let me and my friends have the bank to fish or go to the other side of the river and fish that run that definitely holds fish.

I could of lived with a boat doing this but it happened at least with 8 guides maybe more.This was a big corporate trip and the main guide or outfitter scrambles to find guides, most of the time they grab who ever they can with a boat , and the weekend guides do it so they can call themselves a Bow River guide. The thing that bothers me about that day is that the guides could have educated all the newbies in their boats about river etiquette and what to do when you see bank anglers. No wonder why rafters float right by you on the weekend, if they have taken a guided fly fishing trip and the guide floats right through your water and tells them it is no big deal to get close to the bank fisherman, they don't mind it.

The river that I loved to death has changed in a short ten years. Sometimes floating the river is like driving Deerfoot with the respect to other people.

Mike.

I understand what your saying but at the same time the river has to accomodate a lot of boats these days. I put in at FC last week and there were 10 boats at the launch 8am on a Monday! I personally don't fish or drift very often on weekends to avoid this kind of traffic but it seems that I'm seeing more and more and more and more boats on weekdays now. For this reason I don't think that it is always possible to be completely respectful of every boat on the Bow due to the amount of boats on the water sometimes. A guy has to make an honest effort to be courteous and try to switch sides to avoid these kinds of situations but sometimes it just isn't feasible. My pet peeve is when you stop to get out and walk a particular stretch only to have three boats blow right over the stretch you are walking. i think the guys fishing from the banks deserve the most respect when you are passing by in a drift boat as they may have driven and walked a long ways to get there. Only exception to this rule is gear guys....jk

Nothing new. I can recall guides rowing right over my line while wade fishing 25 years ago, when there wasn't another soul on the river for 1 km either direction. The Bow supports an enormous number of 'fish for profit' folks whose livelihood depends on producing fish, and when push comes to shove, they will do what ever it takes to get fish to the boat. To make matters worse, as fisheries elsewhere are destroyed and regulations increase, the Bow will need to support more and more guides from other parts of the world coming to get there piece. I think a little regulation in the industry is long overdue, or wait until the fishery falls off the 'top ten' list for good.

I don't get out much anymore due to the wife and newborn. On Thursday the stars and planets lined up because I was able to get out on a overcast day with two old friends that don't get to get out on the river nearly enough anymore. Get to the launch and nobody there, not a big deal 'cause we are a little bit early, it's going to rain and I was thinking probably everyone is up top due to gas prices.

Fishing couldn't of been better, twitch......twitch..... goooosh type of morning with a beautiful river and great company. We stopped on a long

great stonefly bank that we could split up and spend an hour or two on it.

Thats when I looked up stream and seen a parade of boats coming towards us. I first got a little mad when a couple of them stopped just upstream of us to re rig their bobber rigs because they lost their worms nymphing a high shale cliff bank. I got really pissed when the first one went right over the gravel bar I was fishing, I just had four eats where that boat floated over. When the third boat did the the same thing as the first boats it was kinda fun to try to hook to their bobbers, I could of easily laid one across the lap of the guide.

How hard would of it been to make six oar strokes and let me and my friends have the bank to fish or go to the other side of the river and fish that run that definitely holds fish.

I could of lived with a boat doing this but it happened at least with 8 guides maybe more.This was a big corporate trip and the main guide or outfitter scrambles to find guides, most of the time they grab who ever they can with a boat , and the weekend guides do it so they can call themselves a Bow River guide. The thing that bothers me about that day is that the guides could have educated all the newbies in their boats about river etiquette and what to do when you see bank anglers. No wonder why rafters float right by you on the weekend, if they have taken a guided fly fishing trip and the guide floats right through your water and tells them it is no big deal to get close to the bank fisherman, they don't mind it.

The river that I loved to death has changed in a short ten years. Sometimes floating the river is like driving Deerfoot with the respect to other people.

Mike.

Mike,

I was one of the guides in the corporate event on thursday, there were 18 boats but I will speak for myself. I apologize if my actions ruined that strip of water for you and/your day. I was in the later half of the parade, when i rowed by two of your party were fishing the side channel and I must assume you were the one fishing the mainstem? I honestly thought you guys were with the group, but quickly realized that you weren't when I asked how your day was going and I could clearly see your disgust of 10+ boats sliding over your spot. I personally think I gave you a wide berth, if I didn't once again I'm sorry.

Jay

I floated on Saturday Fish Creek to Mac. Not a monster day of fishing, just stop and fish where ever I thought I could fool a trout with a man made bug. It gave me time to watch the numerous drift boats and the flotilla of kick boats. By the end of the day it occurred to me that none of these people knew they were doing any wrong. They were just never taught any different. (or everyone is just really polite and doesn't want to scare the fish by yelling to you as they pass by asking how your day is going)

Maybe I am just fortunate that I had boat nazis to teach me the river etiquette. Nowadays anyone can buy a drift boat or kick boat and float down the river and have a great day, oblivious that they are making someone else's day miserable. (apparently having your drift boat on the seam, 10' off the bank while your clients are happily chucking bobbers on the "White" side of the boat is a Great!! way of catching fish...)

It was quite apparent that day which boats had veteran oarsman and I do appreciate that. It is just sad that it has to be this way.

As I was bouncing my way up the Mac flats hill I wondered if an apprenticeship program would help... But then thought that would never fly... People would have to take the time out of their busy boating schedules.

I just dont understand this i have had numerous boats float through water i am fishing and it puts things down for 5 min MAX these fish see boats ALLLLLLL day long it is part of their habitat........I think the BIG foul is 1. when they dont stop fishing or 2.They pull over into water you are obviously working up to......but to just float by close or far not a problem! if you are complaining about that then you need to relax a bit and fish somewhere else because this is not the river of ten years ago and it will only get more traffic. I think people should learn to adapt a little because the fish certainly have.

Not the first time we've heard stories like this and I guarantee you that it won't be the last, unfortunately!!

This isn't the only guide on the bow who lacks respect. In the last 2 years and most recently just a few weeks ago, I have had 2 sponsors of this very site row right through water I was fishing.

The first incident was a shop owner who decided to row between the bank and where my boat was anchored, I was rigging up to cast at a riser and he rowed on through stripping streamers and right over my riser. As he went by he asked if i minded, I said I did but it was too late and the apology was worthless at that point. He knew better and I could tell. Getting even with him has been easy I and everyone I can tell never shop at his store. This includes several guide friends if mine that will drive great distances with clients to avoid his shop, this brings me peace.

The second, most recent incident, shocked me. It was an early morning float from Police to Mac, only 3 boats out at this time of the morning. We had had good luck on foam near the bank all morning and decided to stop and swing some streamers with our switch rods? The well-known and easy to ID power drifter approached on a very cast reachable line, I assumed he'd move out but when he saw me cast beyond his boat line but it was not to be. He proceeded to row right through my water and then say something like, "I told you guys (the clients) not to cast right here." then to me, "I told them but they never listen" followed with a chuckle. Now I know it likely didn't upset the fish I caught right after he rowed by (that felt great) but he knew better, I've seen him provide advice to people on this forum regarding space that a boat should give shore fisherman and he's a sprey caster so I know for sure he could tell where I was casting too.

It's too bad that this goes on but it's flyfishing in the new millennium, "combat fishin" what they call it on California rivers. I'm not much for combat so I'll just keep hoping that fish gods will take care of those that can't follow the etiquette of the river. Oh ya and the facT that that shop owners little stunt likely costs him a bit in revenue.

I just dont understand this i have had numerous boats float through water i am fishing and it puts things down for 5 min MAX these fish see boats ALLLLLLL day long it is part of their habitat........I think the BIG foul is 1. when they dont stop fishing or 2.They pull over into water you are obviously working up to......but to just float by close or far not a problem! if you are complaining about that then you need to relax a bit and fish somewhere else because this is not the river of ten years ago and it will only get more traffic. I think people should learn to adapt a little because the fish certainly have.

I am very well aware that a boat going over a fish or down a bank will only shut down the fish for a small amount of time, but rowing your boat out a couple strokes won't hurt your day of fishing also.

Why I made my original comments was common courtesy , which is pretty uncommon no days. when I was taught to row a drift boat, the lessons were not only how to row the boat but also how to conduct myself on the river, river etiquette was as important as learning how to row. IMO giving another boat or bank fisherman some room as I float by is just the decent thing to do. "do unto others"

Your comments are just another example of the apathy of todays youth and the demise of our society. It seems no one cares about others only themselves. So your telling me that you would float right by another boat so you lose no water to fish, rather than thinking of others you only care about yourself. it only takes a couple strokes of the oars to move the boat out and drift down a hundred yards or so. But instead of doing the decent kind thing, you keep being greedy and fish all the water you want, I will be old school and show you the proper river etiquette and I will pull my boat off shore, give you some room and go on with my day, I might even give you a wave and say hi, just because that's how I was raised.

Just because there are more boats on the river why should people have to adapt from doing the right thing?? We all fish because we enjoy it, while you are out there why not try make someone else's day good by giving them some common courtesy and showing nice river etiquette, but I guess you would rather just hog all the river for yourself and the hell with every one else, NICE.

I will be old school and show you the proper river etiquette and I will pull my boat off shore,

Didnt on another post, someone say you came down a back channel on them? The 'old school etiquette' would dictate that you never float back channels, and to work them from the bottom (or park on the outside and walk back in), such that you never come down a channel into someone.

As many guys there are on the oars, there is an equivalent amount of etiquette rules. Not everyone is going to follow your version of it, so why get bothered?

Though, stronger education would be nice. Maybe signs at a boat launch or something

Your comments are just another example of the apathy of todays youth and the demise of our society. It seems no one cares about others only themselves. So your telling me that you would float right by another boat so you lose no water to fish, rather than thinking of others you only care about yourself. it only takes a couple strokes of the oars to move the boat out and drift down a hundred yards or so. But instead of doing the decent kind thing, you keep being greedy and fish all the water you want, I will be old school and show you the proper river etiquette and I will pull my boat off shore, give you some room and go on with my day, I might even give you a wave and say hi, just because that's how I was raised.

Just because there are more boats on the river why should people have to adapt from doing the right thing?? We all fish because we enjoy it, while you are out there why not try make someone else's day good by giving them some common courtesy and showing nice river etiquette, but I guess you would rather just hog all the river for yourself and the hell with every one else, NICE.

You may want to read a bit more of Troutlover's posts before you make a bunch of absolutely wrong assumptions. First off, he's not really a youth. Second, he routinely takes people out fishing who know next to nothing about the sport and helps them to learn how to fly fish. I've rarely met anyone more excited over every fish he catches, and he catches a LOT of them. I was just on a back country trip he arranged for 7 people where he took all of us, some of them strangers to him, to some of the most unreal water and country I've ever been privileged to encounter. Least selfish guy I know. Always enjoys himself on the water. Instead of venting at him, I'd recommend emulating him a bit. All except his netting habits. He sucks at netting.

You may want to read a bit more of Troutlover's posts before you make a bunch of absolutely wrong assumptions. First off, he's not really a youth. Second, he routinely takes people out fishing who know next to nothing about the sport and helps them to learn how to fly fish. I've rarely met anyone more excited over every fish he catches, and he catches a LOT of them. I was just on a back country trip he arranged for 7 people where he took all of us, some of them strangers to him, to some of the most unreal water and country I've ever been privileged to encounter. Least selfish guy I know. Always enjoys himself on the water. Instead of venting at him, I'd recommend emulating him a bit. All except his netting habits. He sucks at netting.

:cheers: You tell 'em, Tex!

I always tried to give folks a wide berth, even the other drifters. If I ever did make a mistake it was becuase I became so focused on a seam or a rising fish somewhere that I failed to completely take in my surruondings, or a couple times in the predawn hours fishing the shore lines I came up on some pretty camofluaged folks (yeah GREG mister "hide behind a bush" Im talking about you! LOL). To anyone I may have offended out there I apologize, and I hope you would let me know if I did.

I am very well aware that a boat going over a fish or down a bank will only shut down the fish for a small amount of time, but rowing your boat out a couple strokes won't hurt your day of fishing also.

Why I made my original comments was common courtesy , which is pretty uncommon no days. when I was taught to row a drift boat, the lessons were not only how to row the boat but also how to conduct myself on the river, river etiquette was as important as learning how to row. IMO giving another boat or bank fisherman some room as I float by is just the decent thing to do. "do unto others"

Thats the problem with todays Old people they cant let go of the way it used to be and figure out how to enjoy the way it is..... You add a lot of stuff into your response that ASSumes a lot about my intentions and attitude about the way i fish and the people i share the river with. You want to get personal go ahead but quit making up shiz i never said. I dont fish all the water i want i always stop when i float by and i always make sure im close enough to say Hi :)....and wave. Cuz thats how i was raised . And you call me a river hog? in what way? I dont fish when im drifting by i take the time to say hi and share a report. You know what Mr. self righteous if you ever feel like learning about New School things send me a PM I would love to take you on a float and you can see what a MONSTER i am.

Wow is it really that important to get the wound up over something?

I use to be like tht but now I shrug my shoulders and let it go, life is way too short to be getting your feathers all ruffled over drift boats and jetboats.

Here is a little advise my great grandfather told me before he deid.

Enjoy what you have now and not what is to be cause things change weather you like it or not

Hey Jared you never invite me out is that because I am a big scary looking guy, or I might out fish you (well if I actually got up off the bank and did some fishin, lol, j/k)

since this looks like its turning into another rickr circle jerk session...thought I'd throw a shout out to shc and say I agree.. respect is gone on the bow and its full contact out there. there is no reason to drift through H2O that a person is working..no reason at all on a river that large... use you oars for what they where designed for and row your fat ass out of the way. Plain and simple.

since this looks like its turning into another rickr circle jerk session...thought I'd throw a shout out to shc and say I agree.. respect is gone on the bow and its full contact out there. there is no reason to drift through H2O that a person is working..no reason at all on a river that large... use you oars for what they where designed for and row your fat ass out of the way. Plain and simple.

Very mature........

Plus I have had walk and waders walk right along the bank I have been stalking a trout in so how about we talk about the disrespectful walk and waders too and not nartrow our veiws to suit our own needs.

The point is that it really doesn't matter if a drift boat comes down, walk and wader or jetboat there are asshats always out there, and you should be enjoying your time out on the water and not getting all wond up over stupid little things (and yes I said STUPID would you like me to spell that out for the slower people out there?)

We all need to take a step back and look at what we are really complaining about and how we are complaining, is it really going to do any good to complain on a internet forum or ARE YOU REALLY JUST VENTING.

If your venting fine I can understand that but complaining on a internet forum is really a waste of time...

RELAX AND ENJOY OUR RIVER

Good advice. Then don't bother taking me up on the float. I would get frustrated and you would get annoyed. :D

Holy! Can I take you up on your offer instead? Is your offer open to Edmontonians? Should I take Rickr's advice and net my own fish? :)

Smitty

P.S. I can offer grayling in return...lots and lots of grayling. Not that you'd need the help.