Fly Fusion Forums

Best Reel In The $200-$300 Range

Just going with what is stated on their website, dude!

"...we use both U.S and Korean manufactured components"

"Assembled" and "Made" are two totally different things!!

Wrong...Lamson is made in the USA. Get your facts straight before spewing BS

I would recommend a Ross Evolution LT, which is also sold by Cabela's. It is a nice reel, and has a lifetime guarantee. Mine got accidentally run over by a car and bent out of shape. I contacted Ross Reels and shipped it to them via FedEx ($18). Got the reel back within about 2 weeks in just about brand new condition, and return shipping via UPS was covered by Ross.

Happy New Year Ya'll!

Hey Smitty, I would go for the Hardy!!

Just for thought... I bought another Hatch reel this summer for my Hardy Sintrix... best single hand I've ever owned!

The reel.....not bad.. great price... sealed and everything..... the drag.... I had it set just about perfect.... big brown on....(stone hatch) .. and i went to loosen it by just one click on the setting... and she spooled out on the next headshake/ short run.... line wrapped around my handle and the trout broke off.... unfortunately the way the drag is.... is black or white... literally clicks on a cog.... no in between.

I still use it... but ever since, I've had a distaste for it.... its a shame.. I almost cringe and or scowl when i use it, I really liked it until that one fish.. I've caught more on it since, yet i will never forget that.. I'm going Hardy (old school).... but let me tell ya.. I'm testing out the drag system and the settings much more thorough from now on... before i jump on a deal. All in all.... name brand doesnt really matter... you have to be able to trust your equipment... makes all the difference in the world.

I have used the BVK reel. I can honestly say i haven't had any problems with it and i have put that reel through ALOT and it still works as good as the day i got it. I did not find that this reel was very heavy, I had picked up a few to compare its weight and it was much lighter then most!

From my personal experience I find nothing wrong with this reel

Best of Luck

Paula

I've got a sage 2050, and in my personal opinion it's a piece of junk, not even worth the line I put on it. If I had to choose from the list I would go with the Montana.

I know this was a long time ago but really? It's one of the best reels I have owned, the drag is imaging, it's light, and it looks pretty cool. The only problem I had is it used to very quietly click, which I like, and all of a sudden it's silent. The drag is still smooth though.

Gotcha! Thanks Brent!

P

Pete (Über). Only the Lamson Konic has Korean parts.. All their machined reels are USA manufactured and assembled

And your not going to find a cheaper reel of that quality that's made (manufactured or assembled) in NA.

Well, I just thought I'd update this thread.

I never did end up buying a reel during the much anticipated sale.

But I have received a Cabela's gift card for Christmas, and was thinking of still getting a new one. Based on everyone's advice, I have expanded my horizons the makes and models. Of course, I'd be leaning towards whatever stock Cabela's carries, but I could always sell the gift card and go with anything.

So I have kinda-sorta ranked the reels based on people's advice:

1. Hardy Ultralite DD

2. Islander IR 3/4

3. Sage 4250

4. Lamson: Konic- Velocity-Litespeed

5. Bauer - BVK - Allen

Anyways, here's my query:

Any further thoughts or updates? I say this, because I am planning to go the Flyfish Expo in Cowtown at the end of the month, and I'll be hunting for deals.

Cheers,

Smitty

Hi Smitty,

My trout reel is a lamson lightspeed which i've had for years, is ultra light, ultra smooth and has a great finish.

I can highly recommend this reel, but it will be out of your budget.

I am therefore biased towards Lamson because I've had a great experience with them.

I went through this exercise myself whilst looking for a bonefishing reel, similarly confined

to a $300 max budget. I looked at the BVK and Hardy ultralight as well as these were

within the price range.

I ended up getting the lamson guru 3.5 for $250, (the trout size is about $200.)

My friend got the Lamson konic. Both reels did a great job in actual fishing and being put

through the salt.

The finish isn't as nice as the litespeed, but the sealed drag system is spectacular especially with a bonefish

on the other end. The smoothness of the drag was really noticable when I switched to a different reel for a day.

Check out the new Lamson Speedster reel. It comes in under $300 and looks fantastic.

I figure if the reel can hold up in the salt and on a bonefish where you actually rely on the drag, then it will

do a pretty good job for an everyday trout reel.

cheers

Sean

• Like 1

Just going with what is stated on their website, dude!

"...we use both U.S and Korean manufactured components"

"Assembled" and "Made" are two totally different things!!

Well since you are just going by what is on their website I will assume you did not read the rest of the sentence they have on their website.

"Q- Where are your reels made?

A – Our reels are assembled and quality controlled at our factory in Boise, Idaho. All of our machined reels (Guru, Velocity, Litespeed, Waterworks ULA and Vanquish) use components manufactured by our U.S.-based machining partners. Konic, which is a hybrid of pressure-cast and machined parts, uses both U.S. and Korean manufactured component parts."

The Konic(which is their low end reel) is the only not 100% made in the states. But I guess you pick and choose what you read.

I think that you need to decide if you want a click pawl or disc drag reel. Some people cant stand the 'noise' associated with click reels, but they're crazy. Having a fish peel out line with a good click pawl is about as good as it gets in my books. Quality click pawls are very low maintenance. Using some quantum hot sauce and oil will have your reel running like new for years/life.

I like reels with a palming rim, and a mid/large arbor. Some of my favorites are the hardy golden prince and islander ir series. Older hardy reels like the hardy marquis, sunbeam, jlh have small arbors but can found online for under $200.

I try to buy Hardys that are made in England versus Korea. The new Hardy Korean reels are exceptionally made but will probably not hold their value as well as their English predecessors. However my favorite is the made in Canada IR series.

All the best in your search, and I hope to hear you on the river in the future.