Fly Fusion Forums

Trailing Hooks

GUNandROD

I use about a 20 lb. dacron piece of backing looped through the eye of the stinger hook. I find this better than regular hooks on the trout that are very picky in the early spring on the bow, and sometimes just "tap" the fly, or nip at the tail of my streamer.

I use about a 20 lb. dacron piece of backing looped through the eye of the stinger hook. I find this better than regular hooks on the trout that are very picky in the early spring on the bow, and sometimes just "tap" the fly, or nip at the tail of my streamer.

Hi guys,

Trailing hooks are great for when you are tying your streamers or intruders, I personally use 65 pound braid for trout, this may seem a little over kill but the material needs to be stiff enough to hold up that hook. It is as simple as just tying a loop off the back end of the shank just long enough to switch out the hook.

Kyle

Guest Grinr

I use a coated,stainless "tandem wire" that I picked up back east somewhere where trolling tandem streamers for landlocks and lakers is popular.Should be able to find it at most tying supply shops?If not,40-50lb.(?) mono makes a good substitute.

I use a down-eye hook for the trailer in order that the "bodies" of the finished fly line up on the same plane.The method is very simple,start by wrapping a layer of thread on the trailer and build 3 small "bumps" along the shank.Next,slip your tandem wire or mono through the down eye and wrap it in tight between the bumps,then fill the bumps by wrapping thread until you have a nice smooth,level body.Finally,I tie in tinsel or floss to match the body of the main hook,whip finish,and the trailer is complete.

Use the same procedure to attach the trailer to the main hook,other than the wire/mono obviously won't pass through the eye.With the down-eye trailer riding "hook up" or inverted/opposite the main hook,the bodies/shanks line up on the same plane.If you prefer both hooks to face down,use an up-eye hook for the trailer.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

im a big fan of the pike wire as it holds the hook up and and doesn not bind up as much. this also lets you use the fame fly on many different fish.

After watching a chap do a ccouple in one of the local seminars, I have been using 10lb white fly-line backing. I am pretty sure that there are a few videos on youtube...search under "articulated fly"

Whoops...just checked....looks like mine is 20lb.