Fly Fusion Forums

Stream Watch 2012

adc

I'm sorry to tell you that there will be NO Stream Watch in 2012......Due to changes in the reporting structure of SRD and on the advice of our SRD coordinator for the SW program the decision has been made to suspend Stream Watch for at least the 2012 season........I want to thank FlyFish Calgary and all of it,s members who supported the program over the past years.......You can be proud to have helped your fishery in Southern Alberta.......Going forward please continue to press for more enforcement to protect our fish and wildlife resources..........

Al......

We are looking at one charity right now but they are nonprofit and they need to look into the tax side of things. Once we know we will get the ball rolling.

[/quotWho's

Whos we? Keep us in the loop please.

What about raising some money to make up some signs that we could post on some of the rivers.

I'm sure others have some ideas lets here them.Its our money.

I work with a fantastic graphic designer, if signage or the like is required, I predict they could be available for a small fee. If full blown org. involvement is not possible, there is probably capacity at the individual level to pull this off if one of you wants to head-man it.

Thanks and we will keep that in mind.

How about putting that money into a FLIPPR type of project? Find a suitable lake, pay to aerate it, and pay for tigers, or browns and rainbows to be put into it and throw on some C&R regs. I'm guessing a new lake would have to be found instead of an already stocked one as SRD seems extremely reluctant to change current regs on existing lakes.

Who's in?

It's called stream watch for a reason. Not stock-my-pet-lake-with-invasive-pellet-fed-rats watch

Hey, they were looking for an alternative project to get behind instead, and I offered one, which is better so far than what you did isn't it? And this is Fly Fish Calgary, not bitch-and-complain-whenever-someone-offers-an-idea-I-don't-like-and-then-use-a-lot-of-hyphens-to-make-a-point Fish Calgary is it? Didn't think so. How about offer a decent suggestion then PGK or shut the *$ up.

Ok then, how about pick a stream that could really benefit from some rehabilitation and put the money toward that? Although, for PGK to give his official endorsement, it'll have to be on a stream with only bull trout or Athabasca rainbows because he apparently doesn't like invasive species like browns or rainbows...

Cheers.

How about putting that money into a FLIPPR type of project? Find a suitable lake, pay to aerate it, and pay for tigers, or browns and rainbows to be put into it and throw on some C&R regs. I'm guessing a new lake would have to be found instead of an already stocked one as SRD seems extremely reluctant to change current regs on existing lakes.

Who's in?

I'd be in. It would be great to get something like that going.

i Have brought this up before and had some intrest from jim stehelfox (i know i spelt that wrong) about cochrane lake which is located just NW of cochrane. The lake in the past has been prone to dry up in hot months but since a new development has gone in there they have put in the infrastructure to maintain consistent levels on the lake so that the home owners can have their lake parkland and veiws it is a beautiful mountain setting. There is a road for public access a parking lot would have to be built but im sure could be donated. The lake is deep enough for over wintering trout the only thing that would have to be figured out is the temperature of the lake throughout the summer to figure out if the temperatures stay cool enough to sustain trout. my intent a few years ago was to take these temperatures throughout the summer but i have little to no time to do this. I also lie in the deep south calgary and it is a long way to drive. The idea and projet have fallen by the way side for me but if anyone wants to pick this up and run with it this could be a great opportunity to develop a special regs lake close to calgary........and dont worry PGK none of the pellet fed rats would make their way into other water sheds unless they learnt to fly.

Now this all said if there were other ideas put up for a vote and one of the options was a way to increase enforcement on our existing waters i would choose the enforcement....I'm just putting some information out there for people to consider.

I am 100% behind the project healing waters initiative. I have already been part of a donation our college group made to it. Great cause. I'd also like to get involved on the "taking the people to the river" side of things as well. Would THIS particular PHW money we are raising be used to take these exceptional people to waters in Alberta? That would be my wish... but I am ok either way. Expect at least one full day trip donated from me again this year :)

Cheers

The details obviously need to be worked out, but the folks we are dealing with are all from Alberta. How the money we raise is distributed will be totally up to them.

I personally am really excited to work with PHWFFC, and looking forward to the auction itself. Once I get the green light, I'll start calling for donations. The auction will likely be sometime in late April (I'm going to Mexico in mid April, and March is too damn busy with work!)

Guys/Gals,

The really unfortunate thing about the demise of Streamwatch is who is NOW going to do enforcement on the Eastern Slopes. One has to only look @ the reason for the birth of Streamwatch to see that the Alberta Govt. is still completely incapable of policing our fisheries.

Let the poaching begin.

But Streamwatch did for 12 years provide about the only source of enforcement. Further, it repaired some areas of Quad damage [ which lasted days til the idiots tore the stream up again]

The people who put Streamwatch together, raised the funds and over-saw the program should be thanked by all fishermen because w/o their efforts, illegal activities would have been much greater.

regards,

Don