Fly Fusion Forums

Transalta Canyon Dam

This was already posted in the Bow River conditions thread, but I thought it was worth having a separate thread.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/travel/Spray+...7083/story.html

This is why the Bow is running high and dirty right now and according to TransAlta it won't be fixed until the end of August, meaning these conditions may persist until mid-September. They took one generator down for maintenance and the second one failed, threatening the cuttie population in the Spray River. I'm hoping to see some pretty serious fines levelled against TransAlta. While they couldn't have predicted the second generator would fail while the first was down for maintenance they obviously didn't have sufficient contingency plans in place - hope for the best but plan for the worst...

When we plan a project at work we do a risk assessment - what can possibly go wrong and what we can do to prevent, mitigate, and work around. Their contingency plan should've been something along the lines of "if we take this generator down and while it's down the other one fails then ______" or "if the higher than average snow pack combines with heavy rain then _________". At the very least before taking the first generator down they should've done a full assessment of the other one to make sure it would handle the load. Not sure if this sort of thing was done since there seems to be very little coverage or awareness of this outside the fly fishing community.

When we plan a project at work we do a risk assessment - what can possibly go wrong and what we can do to prevent, mitigate, and work around. Their contingency plan should've been something along the lines of "if we take this generator down and while it's down the other one fails then _We fill up spray reservoir._____" or "if the higher than average snow pack combines with heavy rain then _We spill into goat creek.________". At the very least before taking the first generator down they could've done a full assessment of the other one to make sure it would handle the load. Not sure if this sort of thing was done since there seems to be very little coverage or awareness of this outside the fly fishing community.

Plan B

let the water flow as normal fix it in the fall and the residence of Canmore don't get any power till then.

Edit too add i no nothing about power generation nor do i work for TA.

And to those that are affected financially because of this and want to be compensated,i say suck it up and go find other work.Its what thousands of other people do when there source of income has a set back.

Friggen hot weather!!

This was already posted in the Bow River conditions thread, but I thought it was worth having a separate thread.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/travel/Spray+...7083/story.html

This is why the Bow is running high and dirty right now and according to TransAlta it won't be fixed until the end of August, meaning these conditions may persist until mid-September. They took one generator down for maintenance and the second one failed, threatening the cuttie population in the Spray River. I'm hoping to see some pretty serious fines levelled against TransAlta. While they couldn't have predicted the second generator would fail while the first was down for maintenance they obviously didn't have sufficient contingency plans in place - hope for the best but plan for the worst...

The Transalta spokesperson said they are letting a 1000 cu ft/sec into the Spray, that's 28.32 cu m/sec.

Normal Bow River flow for this period at Calgary is about 105 cu m/sec. Right now it's running at 192 cu m/sec. From the numbers, it seems the Spray/Transalta problem isn't the whole story behind the high, dirty flows we are still experiencing. Or am I missing something in the story?

Plan B

let the water flow as normal fix it in the fall and the residence of Canmore don't get any power till then.

I'm guessing that wouldn't be the case otherwise Canmore wouldn't be getting any power now. We're at peak usage season from everyone cranking their A/C and the grid appears to be able to handle it even without these two generators running since there haven't been any rolling brownouts.

Plan B

Edit too add i no nothing about power generation nor do i work for TA.

And to those that are affected financially because of this and want to be compensated,i say suck it up and go find other work.Its what thousands of other people do when there source of income has a set back.

Friggen hot weather!!

Like I said if this was the chemical or nuclear Industry and a spill was the issue no excuses would get you off the hook. When you put together a preventative maintenance program you need to consider all risks. They need to do better. Fines are warranted...

I'm guessing that wouldn't be the case otherwise Canmore wouldn't be getting any power now. We're at peak usage season from everyone cranking their A/C and the grid appears to be able to handle it even without these two generators running since there haven't been any rolling brownouts.

Ya i'm not sure what dam it is thats down,i think theres 3 ., rundle 3 sisters snd spray with spray being the biggest at 103MW rundle is 50 and 3 sisters is 3MW. Or so goggle says.

Like I said if this was the chemical or nuclear Industry and a spill was the issue no excuses would get you off the hook. When you put together a preventative maintenance program you need to consider all risks. They need to do better. Fines are warranted...

I guess its not so much the flow its the silt that its bringing down,maybe an annual wash of goat could have stopped this.post-2125-1312173660.gif

That's exactly it, it's bringing down tons of silt breaking up the soil and I would imagine changing the habitat and stream beds. Terrible that they don't seem to be accountable as yet.

I guess its not so much the flow its the silt that its bringing down,maybe an annual wash of goat could have stopped this.Idunno.gif

I spoke With Bill Hunt at Parks Can. last week. It sounds like Parks will be doing what they can to ensure Trans Alta be held accountable for this. According to Hunt this event is the worst ecological disaster in the park since Minnewanka was built, including all the forest fires. The province on the other hand appears to be sitting on its hands as usual. Trans Alta may have a license to operate the dam but it doesn't give them the right to destroy the environment and negatively impact the fishery the way they have. Trans Alta's response appears to be arrogant and inadequate.

http://www.transalta.com/facilities/plants-operation/spray

"Protection of the environment is an important part of our hydro power business, as is responsible water use. We continually work with environmental and community groups to ensure habitats are protected, and that all users’ needs are heard."

I believe Dow has a similar policy statement. Too bad about Bhopal...

In Trans Alta's press release last week they stated their focus is on public safety and managing the reservior, in other words making sure the breach of the spillway doesn't get any worse. Very considerate of them. The priority therefore, is not on environmental concerns. Their environmental policy is just that, a policy, and while they may judge themselves by their intentions the concerned public will be judging them by their actions.

I had a chance to sit down at the Banff Springs for a few hours today overlooking the confluence of the Spray and the Bow. It is very concerning to see how dirty and fast the Spray is running. Made me a little sick to my stomach when I first saw it. I agree with Gil that TransAlta needs to be held accountable.

While not the same scale, it reminds me of the early days of BP's big spill in the gulf coast where BP's management team played it off as not a big deal. TransAlta is NOT handling this well! Having viewed the Spray first hand, there is no way that the fish population won't be signifantly affected.

I guess its not so much the flow its the silt that its bringing down,maybe an annual wash of goat could have stopped this.post-2125-1312173660.gif

Goat creek is not the biggest problem, it's the Spray that has burst it banks!

It feels like we should be doing more as a fishing community to expose TransAlta on this one... Social media campaign???

This water diversion has caused major damage to the Bow rivers ecology. Just take a look at the river here in the city and you will see that the entire stream bottom is covered in silt with very little aquatic vegetation growing. I'm not a biologist, but I am very concerned about what I am seeing.

Emergences of many species of aquatic invertebrates have been unseasonably late, sparse in numbers and I wonder if stream conditions, in the current state, will allow for a successful reproductive cycle. Extended high, turbid flows, reduces dissolved oxygen levels in the water and also the amount of sunlight reaching the stream bottom.

No aquatic vegetation = no food for the aquatic inverts = no food for the fish. Scary stuff!

I'm hoping a real biologist (maybe Harps), jumps in here and tells us that we've got nothing to worry about...

Interesting.

I would like to learn a little more about this as well, I have noticed the problem with the silt also, in a couple of my usuall spots there has been areas that are coverd in almost two feet of silt, which is new to those areas, i did not think anything earlier in the summer but usually these spots are covered on a rock bed, almost got stuck a few times on a wade, sunk knee deep in a second, and i know those waters well, and are simple walk and wade arres this time of year, so if that is from this problem with trans alta any info about the changes it might have on the river would be a excellent to know.

CHEERS.

I wonder if having the capability to create an environmental disaster is part of ISO 140001? This is quoted from the Transalta Spray Facility site that Headscan posted under "Awards & Recognitions".

"Meets ISO 14001 standards - (ISO 14001 is an international standard setting the framework for a holistic and strategic approach to environmental policy, plans and actions)"

This makes me sick, someone at Transalta should have their nuts in a sling over this and their license/permit/right to operate these facilities on public water should be revoked by every form of government (Provincial Federal, International) whomever. Would something as simple as an extra diversion tunnel to allow water to pass the dam in a controlled fashion, should the need arise to hold water back for an extended period of time, like having both generators down, been a stretch as a contingency plan? Seems to me something like this would have been a great idea.

If someone comes up with a way to not use Transalta's power let me know, I'd love to be able to hit them in the wallet, it's the only way they'll get any sort of message.

Guides that are affected should look into lawsuits concerning Business Interruption, *hit the Park should be suing for beauty interruption. We need a good American lawyer to help figure out haw many reasons Transalta can be sued for right away.

My final point is that this doesn't only affect the fish although they are likely the most directly impacted), it affects everything natural that depends on the river system. I how far out into the rivers ecosystem this reaches? "Everybody and Everything live downstream!"

Booooooo Transalta!

Oops forgot one point.

If this were an oil and gas industry disaster every environmental group in the world would be throwing their stones. Where are the Sierra Club and Greenpeace types when we need them? This should be top news in and around Calgary (I'm not the best current events follower) but the only place I've heard about it is on this website. Hell I was in a flyshop yesterday in Calgary and they didn't know anything about it. We need more media coverage, I guess someone will have to die in the muddy water to get any press. Maybe a story about a dead cutty would get coverage.

This has ruined my morning probably my day and for that I will seek revenge.

The issue with this environmental impact is that it is unseen to the average person. There are no oily birds, dead fish washing up or cute animals dying. Also there is no impact on global warming or greenhouse gases which the major environmental groups latch onto right away. The economic impact on any significant industry is negligible.

In the end, the fishing community will not be acknowledged with any impact, Transalta will attribute the mess as an act of God and unavoidable.

Yup. I think you pretty much nailed it.

In recent correspondence with biologist at SRD Fisheries Management, I was informed that the current situation is being "monitored" by TransAlta, with the "involvement" of the Dept. of Fisheries and Oceans and that there will be on going monitoring, even after the event, to try and gain a better perspective on the impact to our fishery. I was also informed that SRD Fisheries Management is not the lead agency involved in this situation, although they have been kept informed by TransAlta since the end of May. They have forwarded my concerns and observations too biologists at the Dept. of Fisheries and Oceans. I will be speaking with SRD Fisheries Management on Monday (missed their call today).

Check out the recent flow rates on the Bow through the city. From a low of 95 c/m/s, too a high of 227 c/m/s in a 28 hour period.

http://www.environment.alberta.ca/apps/Bas...tionID=RBOWCALG