Fly Fusion Forums

Drift Boat Repair

Anyone know what kind of product you would use to fill in a few small chips in the coating of a 2008 hyde. Its a fiberglass boat , not sure what the coating is?

Also I've heard you can get a coating put on the bottom of the boat? Any info greatly appreciated.

I'd call Hyde to make sure you are using a compatible product, but if I were to bet dollars to donuts it is epoxy resin, not to be confused with polyester resin. Something like SilverTip by system 3 if easily available and easy to work with.

There are a number of things you can flow coat the bottom with. You can put a new coat of epoxy resin on the bottom. Some guys add graphite to the mix and coat the bottom with that.

You can also have sheets of UHMW added to the bottom called a shoe. Hyde or a boat shop would have to do that for you if you are not familiar with boat repair.

Andrew

Tracy,

Depending on the size of the chips, I'd use a putty stick (2 part epoxy) that is sandable... MEC and other canoe type stores sells it for canoe repair (it will repair fiberglass, kevlar, plastic boats). Way easier then messing around with 2 part liquid epoxy...

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail....534374302700925

P

Anyone know what kind of product you would use to fill in a few small chips in the coating of a 20008 hyde. Its a fiberglass boat , not sure what the coating is?

Also I've heard you can get a coating put on the bottom of the boat? Any info greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the options guys. The chips are about the size of the end of a pencil , but there right on the bottom edge of the boat about 4 inches apart.

Not in the habit of nicking rocks but sure would hate to knock a chunk of coating off if I do.

Thanks for the options guys. The chips are about the size of the end of a pencil , but there right on the bottom edge of the boat about 4 inches apart.

Not in the habit of nicking rocks but sure would hate to knock a chunk of coating off if I do.

I've used polyester resin with fine fiberglass cloth from CDN Tire. Sanded and is smooth to the touch. If you want it to colour match add a Resin colour the same as your boat. FYI - Lemoine Hyde told me that the installed shoe is $1500 at the factory in Idaho. It's a one day job.

Bruce

Tha Not in the habit of nicking rocks but sure would hate to knock a chunk of coating off if I do.

I (read: people rowing(ish) my boat) have hammered stuff, and I'm talking hammered. Rocks, trees, jet boats, rafters, spawning rainbows, agressive dogs, ect. with my boats, previously a Hyde and now a Clacka. You'd have to do something really dumb to actually break a boat. I (it was me) split the gunnel (should've been worse) on my Clacka last year (perceived skill to actual skill ratio was running a little rich), little expoxy and she's as good as new. Buy 'em to use 'em.

If they're just superficial chips in the gelcoat, any marine place should be able to sort you out. If they're into the glass, order the stuff from Hyde. You're going to need it again.

IMO you'd really have to be laying a beating on your boat to justify the shoe. Most guys on the Elk don't bother, and it can be a hard river on boats (see split gunnel).

Any pics of said damage? Sounds nasty.

As far as repair goes,if it is poly resin theres a place in Calgary that has the poly resin its much cheaper then epoxy resin.Theres also boat mart in Edmonton that will have what you need.

Edit that, boat craft not mart.

No its nothing major. Just small chips in the gelcoat, nothing deep into the glass. Just makes sense to fix those for all the time it takes.

Am used to rowing a 3 man pontoon, finding the driftboat much easier rowing and a lot more control for less effort.

Anyone know what kind of product you would use to fill in a few small chips in the coating of a 2008 hyde. Its a fiberglass boat , not sure what the coating is?

Clacka sells Marine Tex (check their site), and I've seen that apply well. Comes in grey and white, and is fool-proof for mixing. I think, and I'm no expert, that whatever epoxy you use should harden with some flexibility so that it doesn't crack out under stress. For the divots on my Clacka, I used West Systems epoxy which was recommended by a friend. Worked really well.

By the time a 2oz. container of Marine Tex is delivered from Clacka it costs over $40. after shipping costs and brokerage fees. There are much cheaper products available locally that work just as well. Marine Tex is not recomended if you plan on using a gel coat later.