Fly Fusion Forums

Controlling Ants

The last couple of summers, I am finding all sorts of ant hills all over my lawn and garden. Do any of you have any ancient family secrets how to get rid of or control these little monsters. A guy cant even play bocce and have a beer in his back yard without being over run by ANTS

The last couple of summers, I am finding all sorts of ant hills all over my lawn and garden. Do any of you have any ancient family secrets how to get rid of or control these little monsters. A guy cant even play bocce and have a beer in his back yard without being over run by ANTS

ground coffee. worked for me last year.

Take a hose and drowned it. Or go to home depot or something and get poison for insects or weeds and pour it on the hill and it should kill them with in 2 minutes then take a shovel and shovel the hill out of your yard that will do the job. AND KILL THE QUEEN ANT !

having the same issue.. heard a mix of Borrax (cleaning powder) and icing sugar. They take it back to for the boyz and lady to chow on..

we will see if it works.

Fire idea sounds good, bylaw guys might not agree right now

having the same issue.. heard a mix of Borrax (cleaning powder) and icing sugar. They take it back to for the boyz and lady to chow on....................

There are commercial products (e.g. "Ant-be-gone") available at any hardware store that I believe are borax based. They are very effective, but you have to be patient. I've found it takes at least a week or so before the deed is done. The idea is you put a few drops on any impervious surface (on a lawn, you might just put some duct tape on a scrap of wood) in their travel path. The workers take it back to the nest and feed it to the queen. When she dies, they abandon the nest. We live on an acreage, and it's war every spring as the ants search out new nest sites, like in our house. We've won the battle every year using this stuff. Terry

If you want to get rid of them all, you need to get rid of the breeders; Queen. So as mentioned in some of the previous posts, buy a product that gets taken back to the nest and has a residual effect, not just a contact insecticide.

When I worked for the Pesticide Chemicals Branch of Alberta Environment, the one which was effective and common is chlorpyrofos. Many brands have it as the active ingrediant, just look on the container. Worked great at my place for those pesky little red ants. They were all gone after a couple of weeks.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

this one will be about 30Cents out of your pocket.

dig a small hole close to the ant hill, stick a jar in the whole and leave about 1cm above the ground and push the dirst back around it and go have a few beers.

one falls in and cant make it out of the over hang and the rest will track right on in.

If you want to get rid of them all, you need to get rid of the breeders; Queen. So as mentioned in some of the previous posts, buy a product that gets taken back to the nest and has a residual effect, not just a contact insecticide.

When I worked for the Pesticide Chemicals Branch of Alberta Environment, the one which was effective and common is chlorpyrofos. Many brands have it as the active ingrediant, just look on the container. Worked great at my place for those pesky little red ants. They were all gone after a couple of weeks.

I dont know if you can still buy chlorpyrophos based formulations for the home. Being an organophosphate they may have been banned, not really the kind of stuff one wants around the home.

As for the ants, most of the commercially available formulations are based on boric acid or borax mixed with a sugar of some sort. If you mix borax 1:1 with icing sugar the ants will carry the borax into the nest and kill them. You can sprinkle it around and put some in an area where the ants can get at it.

Or get an anteater.

Andrew

Anyone have an ant eater they will loan out?

I dont know how to respond to this without is going south in a hurry, but I will try.

:laugh: My wife does not let me loan out my ant eater any more.

Andrew