Fly Fusion Forums

Poachers At Policemans Flats

In the middle of Sunday afternoon, in plain view I spot 2 peckerheads fighting a fish then smashing it on the head clearly killing it.

I am on the other side of the river across from the launch but was pretty certain at this point that they were bait fishing.

I scream over that they are poaching & fishing illegally and make quick time back to my boat. Figured I would go check out what they were doing.

I look over and they are allready hustling back to the parking lot.

Any how I greeted them in the parking they had a garb bag with 2 large bows & 1 large brown, all fish were 4-5 pounds.

They had their bait rigs with big barbed hooks & bell weights on spinning rods and bag of worms.

What really pissed me off was they claimed they had no idea where they were, what river they were in that made it OK. The fellow told me he killed the fish because he didn't want them to suffer.

I asked if they had licences, they said they did, I asked if they read the regs... No they said.

Met Gary from Wishin I was fishin drift co, he snapped a pic of thier licence plate & vehicle.

I phone Rapp. the Co phoned me 15 min later and was heading to the poachers house to greet them.

I hope they get what is coming to them.

We need a Rapp sign at all launchs etc.. with their contact info in plain view.

Dave

In the middle of Sunday afternoon, in plain view I spot 2 peckerheads fighting a fish then smashing it on the head clearly killing it.

I am on the other side of the river across from the launch but was pretty certain at this point that they were bait fishing.

I scream over that they are poaching & fishing illegally and make quick time back to my boat. Figured I would go check out what they were doing.

I look over and they are allready hustling back to the parking lot.

Any how I greeted them in the parking they had a garb bag with 2 large bows & 1 large brown, all fish were 4-5 pounds.

They had their bait rigs with big barbed hooks & bell weights on spinning rods and bag of worms.

What really pissed me off was they claimed they had no idea where they were, what river they were in that made it OK. The fellow told me he killed the fish because he didn't want them to suffer.

I asked if they had licences, they said they did, I asked if they read the regs... No they said.

Met Gary from Wishin I was fishin drift co, he snapped a pic of thier licence plate & vehicle.

I phone Rapp. the Co phoned me 15 min later and was heading to the poachers house to greet them.

I hope they get what is coming to them.

We need a Rapp sign at all launchs etc.. with their contact info in plain view.

Dave

nice work. i agree we need signage along the bow..Keep on Rappin!

Poachers would probably eventually take down signs, unfortunately.

Good job reporting poachers. I love reading poacher stories. Put's a smile on my face!!

i wish they had cell service where I usually fish!!

No need to post signs with rapps # cause it is on the back of your license. If it is something to create awarenes then someone will chop it down, look at the kids that party in the parking lot at poilce during the long hours of the night, sick and tired of coming there in the morning and having to pick up other people's garbage. Plus I wonder where they are getting the wood?????

:clapping: Well done! I caught a couple poachers there last year as well. I can't understand how brave they can be? I'm sure they ALL know the rules and it is not an excuse if you don't. One thing that is good, at least when they are in FCP, is the response time by F&G is usually really fast. Maybe the fines need to stiffer versus the risk?

No need to post signs with rapps # cause it is on the back of your license.

I was thinking the same, but that's not necessarily the case anymore.. The RAP # isn't there if you buy your license online and print it off.

I called the CO on a couple of guys at carsland last year. I have to hand it to Gary, as he was at chestermere, and probably wore his treads off the tires he got there so fast. These goofs know they are breaking the law. My neighbor admitted to me he and friends were poaching on the Bow, with barbs and bait and killing everything. He was a little surprised when I said I would have been on the phone as well to turn him in. I used to have access to a nice ranch on the water, but all those f---ing idiots blew it for us, and I cant blame the owners for banning everyone. Get a life and learn how to read. Then read the regs. If you do not understand them, the CO's would be happy to explain the rules in the area. Just be smart enough to know they change from area to area. If you are that stupid, then maybe all the fines will pay for another CO to fine your ass. Keep up the great work poacher catchers. :goodvsevil():

I have the RAP number after I saw a couple douchebags leave a big rainbow dead on the shore I told them bait fishings illegal and they aid they knew that I was sure they we're using bait and barbs but they sure packed up quick brought the rainbow home and filleted him I hate seeing it go to waste have the number in my phone ever since can't wait till I catch them again I'll call right away they'll get what they deserve

No need to post signs with rapps # cause it is on the back of your license. If it is something to create awarenes then someone will chop it down, look at the kids that party in the parking lot at poilce during the long hours of the night, sick and tired of coming there in the morning and having to pick up other people's garbage. Plus I wonder where they are getting the wood?????

I hear you, maybe a good sized sticker on the side of the garbage can or nailed to a tree ??This is the 3rd group I've had busted down there.

We lost our sign board down there after the 05 flood, perhaps we need another.

Birchy was right no RAPP# on the back of a computer bought licence so some visual reminder for these guy's might help somewhat.

I guess for now lets all keep a keen eye open for fishermen not following the rules.

I have since put the # on speed dial in my phone.

Dave

I hear you, maybe a good sized sticker on the side of the garbage can or nailed to a tree ??This is the 3rd group I've had busted down there.

We lost our sign board down there after the 05 flood, perhaps we need another.

Birchy was right no RAPP# on the back of a computer bought licence so some visual reminder for these guy's might help somewhat.

I guess for now lets all keep a keen eye open for fishermen not following the rules.

I have since put the # on speed dial in my phone.

Dave

I have the RAP number in my phone as well. I doubt these deadbeats even have fishing licences.

Andrew

We should all have it in our cell phones!!

Some of us 'old farts' don't need a license, but I'll bet we usually have a small digital camera.

Not much point trying to call RAP if you are on the Livingstone.

Some one once said " A picture is worth a thousand words".

Get the a-holes!!

• 1 month later...

Good job. Last fall I called in a fellow who was completely ignoring bans, limits and sizes on whitefish on the Bow at Cochrane....ballsy bugger set up just down from me and started fishing...once he had hauled in his 5th fish, I decided to wander a bit closer and have a look....bait fishing and keeping everything he caught, so I gave RPP a ring, but said nothing to the poacher...figured they could catch him at it. Unfortunately, I had time constraints and had to leave before the CO showed, but I would have loved to have seen that.

I see the same thing too often below Bearspaw Dam when i go for a walk. These people are fishing with bait and in a closed season not sure about keeping any fish or if they have a licence but i have call the RAP line several times on them. Have'nt found out if justice was served tho.

Just keep your eyes open for these abusers of our waterways and call it in!!

Cheers,