Fly Fusion Forums

Pontoon/float Tube Fins

Guest ArtVandelay

Not cheap, as you can see, but has good reviews. Anyone here have these?

I have a pair of their diving fins that I use in my tube, and find they bang against my shin's when walking, and are hard to convert back and forth. I think the diving fins are longer and it could be that they still need to break in perhaps the fishing specific fins are better...that said they are much nicer for walking.

Guest JayVee

Yeah I'm trying to decide between the Force Fins and the Scaddens. The FFs are $200 on Cabelas site!

I have heard good things about Force Fins, however they are pricey.

I used Outcast fins for four years and had no issues with them. After hearing all the hype about Force Fins I bought a used pair. I only used them 4 or 5 times last year after I got them and I have to say that I would have been disappointed had I paid full retail. I don't find them as powerful or as easy to control. They do seem easier on the legs after a full day in the tube. I find alot of times I use my fins to turn myself to position a cast to a riser or just to fight the wind from turning the tube. The force fins really have no propulsion when you stroke backwards. Not an issue when moving backwards but I find it more difficult with the fine movements of controlling direction. They also seem softer and less powerful if you really need to dig in and fight the wind or travel across a lake to fish. I will give them another try this year but so far I would say I am just as happy if not happier with my $35 outcast fins. Anyone else have similar experience with the Force fins?

I've found Force Fins work well on a lake but not as effective in a river. Because of the design I find they are impossible to "load" properly in current or in shallow water. I also agree with the previous post that they are not good for making the finer control manouvers while fishing. I use Caddis fins and find they work well, they also float.

I have the Force Fins & found through trial & error that if you rotate the upstream fin slightly in a counterclockwise direction it will keep your pontoon in perfect alignment to the bank or seam that you are fishing.

I paid $150 at WS about 4 years ago.

Pricey at the time but I think worth it.

Jayve,I use the force fins. I wouldn't mind lending them to you for a trial run. My only request would be that you use the ankle straps so they don't fall off in the river.

let me know if you want to give it a try.

Murray

If you plan on fishing lakes where there is lots of wind or travelling long distances, then I would recommend dive fins if in a tube. When fighting through waves that are crashing on your back I think you'd want to have something that can move some serious water.

Leon2005-1.jpg