Fly Fusion Forums

What Should I Look For In Waders

Hey

Was out on the bow in my wading sandles and shorts and damn near froze my keester off.

I am going to go out to buy some waders this weekend and was wondering what I should look for as I have never used them before.

Should I get the ones with built in boots, go neoprene or not, how do I tell a good pair vs a crappy pair, how big should they fit etc. Any kind of little hints that you have come across would be great.

J

If your going to get serious about fly fishing I would buy the best you can afford, after all you are probably going to wear them every time you go out from here on.

Personally I like the breathable with neoprene feet. I have Dan Bailey's and find them quite good but I think that Simms still make the best.

J,

PM sent.

Any of the sponsoring (and non sponsoring) specialty fly shops (some even have waders on sale presently) would be your best bet as they should have a variety for you to try in various price ranges. Each brand will fit differently (fit shouldn't be restrictive and you should be able to layer [a lot in some cases if you fish spring, fall and winter] and at the same time be able to step up and over things, kneel down, squat, etc. without them feeling like the seams will split. Feet should be bigger rather then smaller again to accomodate layering). If in doubt, go witht he larger size. Breathables with neoprene feet are the most diverse IMHO as you can layer them up depending on the conditions, etc. Also go with the BEST you can afford and one with a good (great) warrantee (there are only a couple that have stellar warrantees - see below). In most cases there is a relationship between longevity and cost (i.e., you get what you pay for) even with abuse! Again, my opinion! If you want top of the line (read more $, but a far better wader) Patagonia and SIMMS, bar none!! Next is to consider wading boots - again lots of opinions as price ranges on those!! Good luck!

Peter

If you plan on fishing the winter, fall, or early spring I'd go with neoprene. In the summer I just get right in there with shorts. I bought some cheapo bare waders for a hundred bucks a few years ago and they're still going strong and keep me warm during winter. Also, if you fall in, you won't want to be wearing breathables. I ditched mine before I got neoprene and never really missed them.

If you plan on fishing the winter, fall, or early spring I'd go with neoprene. In the summer I just get right in there with shorts. I bought some cheapo bare waders for a hundred bucks a few years ago and they're still going strong and keep me warm during winter. Also, if you fall in, you won't want to be wearing breathables. I ditched mine before I got neoprene and never really missed them.

I am of the same mindset, I like to go in my shorts during the summer, but now that it is getting colder I would like something I can use during fall, winter and spring.

I am of a totaly different mindset. if you think you will still wet wade in the summr then just dont wear your waders. Breathables are the way to go, so much more comfortable and you dont have that damp feeling after being in them for hours. I have both and wear the breathable 95% of the time, even in the middle of winter, its all in what you wear underneath them. Fit is key to long term durablility on breathables though. If they are the wrong size and pull in certain spots all the time, thats where the leaks will start first. So make sure you have someone help you that knows how to fit them.

Breathables all the way man. They are waay more comfortable, you can layer your clothing underneath them so i find that i'm warmer in my breathable then in Neo's. You also won't sweat to death during spring and fall fishing, so they are good for all 4 seasons. Also, for about half of Calgary's so called "summer" the water is a little chilly and i wouldn't want to be just wearing shorts (although some will disagree). The up side for Neo's is that they will last longer. I would also avoid any waders with built in boots because the seams along the boot leaks all the time, and I find that the boot rubs your calf really bad. If it was me, I'd go with a mid ranged pair of Breathables and wading boots from one of Calgary's fine shops (but if $$$$ isn't an issue, I've heard Simms are stellar... I have there boots and they are indestructible), just my 0.02$.

Drew

Well I went out today in search of waders and boots.

Tried on a bunch of pairs and just could not find the right fit combined with the features I was looking for.

Ended up finally finally finding a pair of streamside duraweave waders. They seem to be extremely rugged and they fit the best. Paid a bit more than I wanted at $239 but I think in the long run they should last me a couple of years.

Thank you for all of your advice it really helped.

J

I bought some middle of the road Simms, and some Korker boots. Must say i am very impressed, and it didn't cost that much. The waders are breathable with the neoprene socks. I think the main thing is comfort, cause you will spend a fair amount of time in them. Make sure you can kneel down and get back up easily. I don't think you can go wrong with SIMMS. Later.

Congrats on your new waders. I can't wait to get some new ones myself, I'm a few seasons away from needing them though - I have a 5 year old pair of Simm's guides that are still going strong. However, when the time comes I'm definitely going with a zip up model like those made now by Simms and Redington.

If I was to offer any advice about keeping them tip top. A simple and not so obvious thing you can do is don't step on the stocking foot with your opposite foot and then try to pull your leg out of them when taking them off, the seam between the leg and foot will fail prematurely. It's much better to carefully work them off your feet with your hands. When I bought mine the guy at the shop told me this and it seems to be working. Also, make sure to hang em to dry after each day out, if your not going out the next day that is. As well, don't leave your waders and boots in your car on a hot day after wading in the Bow, it's a mistake you'll only make once :).