Fly Fusion Forums

Incident At Police Outpost Lake

Gang,

I've just returned from dinner at my sister-in-law/brother-in-law's place and have learned of a disturbing incident that happened/is happening at Police Outpost... A good friend of theirs - Jeff (and avid fly fisher) went out to P O L Friday afternoon to fish (from his kayak). He was supposed to have returned yesterday late afternoon/early evening and he hasn't been heard from. I guess F & W, RCMP have found his van in the campground but from what I understand no Jeff (not sure if they have found his kayak or not)...

Please share a positive thought and/or prayer for Jeff, his family and friends...

I will keep you all posted on what info becomes available (from what I hear from my sis-in-law/bro-in-law).

Thanks,

Peter

Thanks for the offer, but I'm not too sure what's happening, I'm trying to get an update, but I'm a few people removed from the situation... I'll try to post info as soon as I can... I've also tried to google a police report, etc. from the weekend, but haven't been able to find anything thus far...

Cheers,

P

Thoughts and prayers with him as well. Please by all means if they need people to help in a search party today, call me. 403-653-3743.

The latest update...

Father-in-law spoke breifly to my bro-in-law as he went down this morning to help with the search...

Cell coverage is sketchy so the conversation was broken-up and cut short. Thus far we think that Jeff's fishing gear has been recovered and PFD found floating - NOT GOOD signs. Cell phone cut out, but there was some conversation (cut out in mid-sentance), to some effect that there might have been a body recovered.

I'll try to get more info updated as it becomes more clear/available.

P

I was fishing down there last Friday when this went down. I didn't see him but noticed something strange in the water when I was leaving. Unfortunately this was in a very strong wind which blew me way past where I wanted to beach and there was no way for me to check it out. It was about 100 yds north offshore just past the point on the east end. It sort of looked like a submerged orange cooler. Now I know it was the tip of his kayak which was still attached to the anchor which was anchored. Anyway after seeing his van and not him i assumed he was shore fishing, on a hike or with the group in the campsite. Someone driving by around 3-4 in the afternoon took down both our plate numbers because it was a very strong windstorm then, waves 2' high for an hour and they felt it didn't look good for anyone out fishing. I had bailed out on the beach by the outlet during this time, wind howling, waves pounding the shore, sitting on my belly boat (so it wouldn't blow away) and too far to walk back to the car. According to Jeff's brothers this was when he arrived and I guess chose to head out and then capsized. Thru the plate number the RCMP contacted me and took my statement via a Calgary police officer. I also showed him my pictures and made a map of my whereabouts during the day. With this info they have been in contact the last few days for a little help in locations and wind conditions and so forth. This morning they phoned saying today was the last day of the recovery and invited me down to go over everything in person especially for locations with the chief of the dive team just in case something might help. So I thought it was the least I could do to help out, went down met with them and Jeff's brothers. Just after 2 this afternoon the body was recovered. I doubt it was anything I said because they seemed to have everything well set up and organized.

Afterthoughts of this incident have made me rethink some of my fishing adventures and my methods. My rope and lifejacket were in my bag in the car so even if I saw Jeff and was able to get out to him I had nothing to help deal with this emergency. In the future I'll make sure I'm better equipped on the lake although I'm doing better on my hiking ventures. Fishing is fun but accidents are not.

Yes I was aware they recovered Jeff's body today... I also knew someone was out there that was on the lake that day... I'm sorry you had to go through that... I'm really sorry Jeff's family and friends had to (have to) as well...

P

I was fishing down there last Friday when this went down. I didn't see him but noticed something strange in the water when I was leaving. Unfortunately this was in a very strong wind which blew me way past where I wanted to beach and there was no way for me to check it out. It was about 100 yds north offshore just past the point on the east end. It sort of looked like a submerged orange cooler. Now I know it was the tip of his kayak which was still attached to the anchor which was anchored. Anyway after seeing his van and not him i assumed he was shore fishing, on a hike or with the group in the campsite. Someone driving by around 3-4 in the afternoon took down both our plate numbers because it was a very strong windstorm then, waves 2" high for an hour and they felt it didn't look good for anyone out fishing. I had bailed out on the beach by the outlet during this time, wind howling, waves pounding the shore, sitting on my belly boat (so it wouldn't blow away) and too far to walk back to the car. According to Jeff's brothers this was when he arrived and I guess chose to head out and then capsized. Thru the plate number the RCMP contacted me and took my statement via a Calgary police officer. I also showed him my pictures and made a map of my whereabouts during the day. With this info they have been in contact the last few days for a little help in locations and wind conditions and so forth. This morning they phoned saying today was the last day of the recovery and invited me down to go over everything in person especially for locations with the chief of the dive team just in case something might help. So I thought it was the least I could do to help out, went down met with them and Jeff's brothers. Just after 2 this afternoon the body was recovered. I doubt it was anything I said because they seemed to have everything well set up and organised

Afterthoughts of this incident have made me rethink some of my fishing adventures and my methods. My rope and lifejacket were in my bag in the car so even if I saw Jeff and was able to get out to him I had nothing to help deal with this emergency. In the future I'll make sure I'm better equipped on the lake although I'm doing better on my hiking ventures. Fishing is fun but accidents are not.

Jeff was one hell of a guy. Words can’t explain the sadness I feel from his death and the pain it must be causing the family he loved so much. Over the past year Jeff has become a solid fishing buddy. He has been apart of some of my most memorable fishing journeys and the stories he shared from his remarkable life always kept me entertained.

Jeff was one of those people who could have done anything in life successfully. He worked for Canada post but I always secretly thought it was only so he could be done work early in the day in order to hit the ponds. I never met his family but have heard many stories about them and their tight bond.

I have never been one for religion but I hope that in his after life he finds a great mountain stream or pond where he can fish until we all get to see him again.

Fish on Jeff.

I worked with Jeff at Canada Post and fished with him often as well. It is such a shame, he was a solid guy who loved his family. Never stopped talking about his next family camping trip. Every weekend it seemed he was taking them camping or on some vacation. I will never forget the 5 days we spent (with mkm) down in the Castle Area this August, fishing and camping, drinking beers around the fire. Watching Jeff land a fish you could see the joy this sport brought him. He did alot of great things in his life, and had alot of good stories, but I could tell nothing gave him more pride and happiness than his family. This incident has made me think about some of the risks I take when fishing, and how my actions could impact my wife if things went bad. I feel so terrible for his family right now.

Rest in Peace buddy.