Fly Fusion Forums

What Are You Tying?

headscan

Sweet Adams Mitchell , and beauty Hopper Lornce !

Hey fella's can anyone share the secret to tying on the rubber legs "figure 8" style , as in chenille rubber leg stone . I've been doing the ole parallel tye ins which make them more of a cross pattern , if you know what I mean , I cant find any vids . And they just dont seem to look as good . Thanks guys

Edit: Found it....manipulation of the legs via chenille wraps.

Cj

put a overhand knot in your rubberlegs and then slip over eye of hook and then tie down with thread. hope that helps

Mike

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
My fav tie.

Stimulators, size 8, 10 12post-309-1309924745.jpg

Yellow ones are foam.

I've been using stimulators more and more and like the pattern. I've always tied in legs on mine. Never gave it much thought since I tend to put legs on just about every terrestrial pattern out of habit whether or not the pattern calls for it. As someone that uses that pattern alot, do you see any benefit?

One thing I don't like about bigger legs is that they tend to push the fly away from the fish during a strike.

• 1 month later...

My first ties that aren't a direct replication of something i read from a book! Still got the inspiration from the flies they are based on though

1st is messing with an already good thing, just personalizing the catatonic leech idea. Looks like it will fish the same and still function as a streamer! I've since plucked out more of the larva lace dubbing and it looks a lot closer to a traditional catatonic leech.

leechy.png

2nd one is a spin off of a prince nymph. I think I am going to lose the rubber legs and go back to biots for the arms/wings. I sometimes get the feeling the mylar makes it a bit too flashy...Wanted to give it more of a boatmen feel but, that defeats the purpose of the prince nymph! If I want a direct boatmen pattern...I'm going to use a boatmen pattern!!

princenhymph.png

This one I tied just looking at a pic of a boatmen swarm I took the other day. Now looking at the pic I know I need to add a second biot to really make the wing casing really come out. Real easy tie too, just some weighted wire, hares dubbing and a goose biot

boatmen2.png

This one I tied just looking at a pic of a boatmen swarm I took the other day. Now looking at the pic I know I need to add a second biot to really make the wing casing really come out. Real easy tie too, just some weighted wire, hares dubbing and a goose biot

boatmen2.png

You can also use a piece of turkey quill in a colour of your choosing in place of the biot. A mottled oak colour makes a nice match for the pattern on the boat man.

Kinda like this

BiotWaterBoatmanP1030975BestSmlr.jpg

I've been adding a shell back of clear UV epoxy on top of the quill like this (not my pic)

water_boatman.jpg

Andrew

Funny I've been playing around with the same idea for a boatman with biot tails.I call it the princeman.

I'll have to remember to call them that, its a good name for em. It's been working well for me some days but I am ditching the rubber legs and going to go back to tying white biots on the side. Rubber legs are always getting stuck around the hook bend anyway...Not to mention I find the biots give a real professional look.

You can also use a piece of turkey quill in a colour of your choosing in place of the biot. A mottled oak colour makes a nice match for the pattern on the boat man.

Kinda like this

BiotWaterBoatmanP1030975BestSmlr.jpg

Never used turkey quill but looking at the pic it looks like it has the same properties as pheasant tail. Is there a big difference when comparing the 2?

I'll have to remember to call them that, its a good name for em. It's been working well for me some days but I am ditching the rubber legs and going to go back to tying white biots on the side. Rubber legs are always getting stuck around the hook bend anyway...Not to mention I find the biots give a real professional look.

Never used turkey quill but looking at the pic it looks like it has the same properties as pheasant tail. Is there a big difference when comparing the 2?

I have used pheasant tail as well for the shell back also, since I did not have any turkey quills in black. Same effect. I dont know that it matters as much what you use. I've tried swiss straw, midge flex, & foam.

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...
Fishbike, I've tied almost exact same streamer just a few days ago. Saw it in a magazine and couldn't resist. Hopefully i can get some time on the water tonite and try it out. Swims good in the bathtub :)

I'm interested to hear how it turns out. I really like tying the head with wool, easier to work with than deer hair.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...